Anyone ever mod a Pal Light?

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I was looking at my 1st LED flashlight I ever got (the Pal Light, bought about 6 or 7 years ago, I think) I wondered if anyone has ever modded one to get brighter output. (not including removing or turning the lens around). Mine also has a 3mm LED. Are they still made with a 3mm, or are they now 5mm? Anyone ever put a Luxeon in one?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
They still make PaLights, I believe the website is palight.com
although I am not sure

I haven't seen any 9v based mods, they are not very popular perhaps because the batteries are too expensive for the amount of power you can get out of them, also the square design doesn't work well with tube designed lights most are set up with. Luxeons take a fair amount of juice and I don't think 9v batteries can deliver enough to make them worth it for most people. Perhaps if it was a parallel 4.5v battery it would be more intriguing to modders.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
There's been some nice "homebrew" emergency type lights around these halls...a resister, a LED (or 2) soldered to a salvaged cardboard/plastic board (from an old 9 volt battery) with contacts...you have yourself a looooooooooooong run emergency room or nice tent light! Not a "flamethrower" by any means, but a nice room light when the power's out...not expensive at all - though there is one out there that's pretty spendy, called a Paklite I think?

They store so well in a film canister too!

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Semi OT: Palight is in the midst of a big change. My understanding is that only the black Palight Survival will continue to be made and the minimum order direct from Palight is 36 pcs.

They've made a new light that will be available as either Safe-Light (the parent company of Palight) or the Humvee brand. It's the same innards but completely new shell that is waterproof. It also foregoes the medium level but includes a completely off mode. So it is -> off-nitelite-high-beacon.

It looks pretty cool. Don't know about mods tho since it's still plastic rather than metal. Seems like you could put a low mA driven Luxeon and have it survive. You might want to check out the newer case style to see if it's easier. I'd like to see one with more "umph" myself.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
i havent modded mine, except changing the lens.

i would love to see an under-driven luxeon with palight's control circuitry.
love the way my onestar ramps UP in brightness.

Bob

BobVA

Enlightened
I removed mine from the case, just keeping the circuit board and the part that fits around the top of tne 9v battery. I potted the circuit board in expoxy, leaving the switch and LED uncovered.

Makes a lot more compact package and a nice area light.

Latest posts