GMRS radios/license???

juancho

Enlightened
Hi guys!! I just bought from Cabela's, two of the GMRS radios, what is the story with the license, people actually pay $80.00 to get a licence from the Federal Communication Commission?????
Juan C.

Aloft

Enlightened
Juancho. . . in the past, my impression is that a lot of people "blew off" the license for GMRS. As a result, there are now lots of people crowding GMRS and it's upsetting legit business users who DID pay for a license, according to some articles I've read in various communications/scanner magazines. I can't say that you'll get busted, but as an amateur radio operator I CAN say that the FCC is revisiting the strict enforcement that they seemed to abandon in years past and actually prosecuting some illegal radio operators. If you stay on the FRS channels only, it's likely you won't interfere with legit users. Or do the legal thing. . . buy a license or sell the GMRS's and get regular FRS radios. Just my dual pennies. . .

Luff

Enlightened
I'm one of those people who actually paid for two licenses (one for each radio). But then, they get used on ski slopes, at the lake and at some sporting events. Rumor has it that the FCC has taken some radios away from folks and fined the users for no license in Colorado ... but I heard that third-person and it may be bull.

It seemed smarter to me to obey the law & get the licenses than to risk the FCC's wrath, even if the chances of being busted may be slim.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
You really only need one license to cover all your radios. I don't recall it being $80, but I did not pay much attention.

The rules for use are so simple and the cost so low that it's really not an impediemnt.

I think the main reason for the license is to keep the band's use down to an acceptable level.

It would be nice if the FCC stopped worrying about exposed boobies on TV an started worrying about use and misuse of the public airwaves. Many yaers ago they enforced the rules and it was a pleasure to listen to the bands that were not reserved for the hams.

Daniel

redcar

Enlightened
75 bucks for five years. You can get the license on line from the FCC website. You probably won't get caught. But if you do, you won't like it.

The main reason for the license is 'supposed' to be to raise money for management and enforcement.

One license will generaly cover everyone in your immediate family. Again, details on the FCC website.

Aloft

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
gadget_lover said:
You really only need one license to cover all your radios.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe this is correct. . . I would be surprised if each radio needs a separate license.

Luff

Enlightened
Well dang! Guess I should have read the FCC site better and saved myself some $$$ by getting a single license!

Jack_Crow

Enlightened
All,
On a related topic, the USCG will bust people for 'non type accecpted' gear on the water. If they find people using modified ham gear on their boats, it get's expensive in a hurry. A safety check boarding could be the end of your weekend. They also check for marine licences, so don't get cheap on your boats gear.

The only GMRS enforcment I know about was years ago, and that was third hand.

Then again the FCC will bust unlicenced operaton if enough people *****.

Later dude
Jack Crow in Iraq
the land of no radio rules

BobVA

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Jack_Crow said:
All,
On a related topic, the USCG will bust people for 'non type accecpted' gear on the water.
Jack Crow in Iraq
the land of no radio rules

[/ QUOTE ]

And vice versa. I've read about a bunch of hunters being busted for using VHF Marine gear to coodinate a hunt. (This was pre GMRS/FRS).

Back on topic: Buy the license - it's the right thing to do and you don't want the FCC "$10,000 prize van" pulling up in front of your house :)
Cheers,
Bob

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Geeze - It's easy to have a type accepted USCG radio that also does ham - aka the OTHER way

I carry a GE M/PA radio every day, deliberately with NO mods at ALL - none, zip, nada, so it's still type accepted. It can be programmed for and freqs from 146Mhz-162Mhz and still be type accepted (and will actully go +- 5Mhz from there - but not always) So I have the entire VHF ham band, and I still have the Marine Band in the Type Accepted mode. In fact, locally, the USCG usues the exact same radio

Kinda nice that when I walk up to a boat, I push 3 buttons to switch from the ham bank to the Marine bank, and it's preprogramed with scan set for calling and distress, and "home" for the calling channel