invasion of cheap 1W-3W led on ebay

davidefromitaly

Enlightened
i have see many led flashlight on ebay at very low-cost, the sellers often declare that they are luxeon 1 or 3 watt and run with 3AAA batts, but how they can juice 1amp from this small batts?

here some links:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=16037&item=5135162082&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=16037&item=5135121646&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=16037&item=5134871207&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=16037&item=5134157406&rd=1

someone have try them?

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well they might, but only for minutes.

3 AAA has to be the worst battery combo for Luxeons in existance.

stockwiz

Enlightened
These might be nuwais. Indeed it's very possible to drive luxeons on battery sizes as small as N cells with decent output. 3 AAA batteries is more then enough to drive a 1 or 3 watt luxeon for a reasonable period of time.

Nothing close to 35 hours however at reasonable output levels.

UVLaser

Enlightened
I wish a lot of other luxeon lights used three AAA or something als instead of those damn 123a photo batts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
ive got a ledlenser that runs a 1watt lux on 3aaas and it runs really well - output is brighter than my longbow micra for about the first twenty minutes - but it is till producing usable light for way longer than the micra does

chrisse242

Enlightened
3aaa nimh are great for luxIII-lights. I edc'd a tvoj-modded light with 3aaa's for months. Good runtime, good output and nice size.

Chrisse

dg

Newly Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif
Bad boy. By showing me a rediculously cheap 3W, you've forced me to add another light to my collection!

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
Geez...how can they sell them so cheap? Isn't a Lux III like 8 bucks a peice in bulk? Makes you wonder how much profit surefire is making... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can get a pack of 2 1 watt luxeon aaa powered lights for 10 bucks on Ebay.... I ordered one and don't have it yet but will test and post when I get it.
Mine comes with 6 AAA batteries and 2 holsters
Made of Aluminum- look cool. We will see. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

NikolaTesla /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

An Arc lamp is the Spark that takes away the Dark--HID Forever!

My Lights

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the heads up - I found this on eBay -

Luxeon Star 1 watt LED Flashlight - SILVER $0 Shipping

Notice it is $0 shipping
and the
bin_15x54.gif
price is US $16.50

mfltwp-1led-sr-01c.jpg
mfltwp-1led-sr-01b.jpg

>>>>BUT<<<<<
I also noticed this on eBay -

EMT-4 1W WATT WHITE LED 3AAA FLASHLIGHT not LUXEON

auction_flashlight_1wattled_emt4_3aaa.JPG

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think they add whopping $24 "shipping" to that $10 so they're more like $17 each. Still cheap, but not that cheap.

I'd be interested in how they handled heat sinking at this low price. With good heat sinking (making it something like the custom lights we see around here sometimes), it would be very attractive.

Without good heat sinking, mine would probably not last that long as I would run it with nimhs which could overheat a DD luxeon when run continuously.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
nerdgineer said:
I think they add whopping $24 "shipping" to that $10 so they're more like $17 each. Still cheap, but not that cheap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, that seems to be the gotcha -
but they appear to ship from Hong Kong......

There's even 2x 3Watt Luxeons for $10
with the same whopping $24 shipping -

2pcs Luxeon Star 3 Watt LED Flashlight Torch + Battery

9e_1_b.JPG

davidefromitaly

Enlightened

WirlNet

Newly Enlightened
Most likely, they are actually using a generic Lux 1 star, which can be had for < $ 2 / each in bulk. The 3 x AAA kicks the voltage above the required Vf, and the ability of the battery to deliver current limits the actual power to the LED. (< 200ma) Lumen output is way to low to be even a moderately driven Lux III, and the price is way to low for build using these premium parts.

Lux I s are getting like jelly beans in the market (but still a good product) If pushed into a price sensitive build, a Lux I can be driven pretty hard for the low usage of a typical flashlight.

Jefff

Enlightened
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=16037&item=5135919047&rd=1

is this still the same light? and you dont think it is a luxeon star? just wondering it clearly states this on there auction ...and flat rate of $7 bucks to ship.. man that would be an awesome deal if it really is as bright as they say would like to see some charts on light output from this one ...

3 Watt Luxeon Star LED Flashlight
Output up to 80 Lumens
Approx. 105mm Long. 35mm diameter
Use 3 X 1.5 V AAA batteries last for about 5 hours continuously. (Batteries not included)
Ideal for Law enforcement, Security, Construction field. Work under very hash condition
Two color available (Black and Metallic)
Nylon Holster Included

DaMeatMan

Newly Enlightened
Well i went ahead and purchased one of the mxdl lights on ebay a couple days ago, i'll post beam shots along with my personal opinion on the light as soon as i get my hands on it. I also purchased a couple other really cheap but nice looking tactical xenon torches. Paid about 1 cent for the xenon torches themselves and 11 bucks canadian for shipping, not a bad deal at all if you ask me. They look like they're begging to be modded anyhow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif