Tell me About the Surefire Centurion C3

lenny

Newly Enlightened
I've got an L4 which I absolutely love.
However, I realize that I need a long throw incandescant also.
How's the C3?
I had an 6P with the P61 lamp assy, which was nice, but I really wanted something more.
All feedback, negative or positive on the C3 is appreciated.
Lenny

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
I recommend a TurboHead for throw.

A C3 has about the same throw as a C2 because they use the same reflector. A C3 with a Turbo Head or a M3T might be what you want.

The SRTH is a great on a C3, but it's only available in black.

If you do a search for "SRTH", username Brightnorm, newer than 3 years, there is a very good chance you'll buy a SRTH. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

There is more than one thread about Brightnorm testing lights for throw.

edit: to change the search from 2 years to 3 years. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif time flys

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
The P91 puts out more lumens. Not really any more throw, just a bigger hotspot.

If you read the threads that I recommend you do a search for you'll find all your questions answered.

The SRTH will out throw a Streamlight TL-3 Xenon which will out throw a P90/P91.

A Pelican M6 will out throw a P90/P91. The Pelican M6 puts out less lumens than the P90/P91 but the Pelican M6 throws further because the beam is tighter than the Surefire P90/P91.

Topper

Flashaholic*
I like my C3 I do not see extra throw with the P91. Brighter? yes Further? not to me. The C3 is a keeper however
if throw is the game then the SL TL-3 throws better to me, I have both of them. If you want to stay Surefire then a turbo head is the way to go. I like the SF M4 much more than the SF M3T just my thoughts not knocking the SF M3T at all. I have the SF M6 I still like the SF M4 better fits my hand and long enough to be utilized in other areas. Just my thoughts
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif edit=added SF to not confuse M6 comments

stockae92

Enlightened
does P90 or Streamlight TL-3 Xenon puts out a better combination of throw and side spill?

i thought the lifespan of the bulb of streamlight is not that great??

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having owned both the P90 and 91, they're about the same throw. The 91 is a brighter flood of light - more light across the same wide area, rather than a concentrated beam (throw). I second the Turbohead recommendation if you want to launch the beam further.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
The C3 will of course put out more lumens. The throw is a little better but that is not evident until you try yo illuminate something beyond 20-30 yards. Then you start to see a difference, but not much.

Basic rule: Without optics, throw will increase only by increasing the diameter of the head allowing for a bigger reflector.

lenny

Newly Enlightened
OK, more questions.
The Streamlight TL-3 seems like a bargain compared to the Surefire C3. Adding the Turbo Head to the C3 makes the Streamlight seem like even more of a bargain in comparison. How is the beam quality and overall construction of the TL-3 compared to the Surefire?
In terms of throw, let me see if I have this right:

Streamlight TL-3: greatest throw
Pelican M6: next greatest throw
Surefire: least throw of the 3, but greater sidespill than
the M6

I really like the construction of the Surefires. If I were looking for an excuse to buy the C3, what would it be?
Finally, if one adds the turbo head to the C3, how does that change the above ranking?
Thanks guys, and keep it coming.
Lenny

detenebrator

Newly Enlightened
I don't own a C3, and have never used a SF Turbo head, but I bought a TL-3 just yesterday.
Construction-wise, the TL-3 is not quite as "pretty" as a SF, but seems durable and has great gripping texture (but no "combat" grip). The twisty switch works great. A spare bulb is included inside the light, which is a plus.
The beam is "adjustable". Beam quality is not as good as my G2 - the hot spot is asymmetrical and a little blotchy. Flood settings have the usual spots, rings and lines. BUT - it's REALLY bright. The throw (when set to spot) is quite good - it will illuminate objects perhaps twice as far away as the G2. I'm not sure that I believe that the total output is really three times that of the G2/P60 (200 lumens claimed vs. 65), I'd guess more like twice (about 130 lumens?). But amazing throw from a pocketable light.
All in all, it's a great value. Buy the SF and the turbo-head if you really want the pride of ownership of "the best", but you can get 80%+ of the performance for 1/3 the price with the TL-3.

Flashdark

Enlightened
lenny,

I started with the C2/P61 and C3/P91 as my first two Surefire flashlights and have never been sorry. They are simply outstanding and are about the most light for the least weight, size, and money that I have found so far. A C3/P91/FM34 combo will do about anything. But it IS a battery-eater (about every 15-20 minutes), and the combination possibilities ARE limited.

HOWEVER, if I read you correctly, throw is primary, and the C3/P91 will only provide 100 yds. +/- . The more I think about it, the more I think that you should start with the M3. From here, you can go ANYWHERE! The M3/MN11 is about 10% better than a C3/P91 on throw, AND has a shock-resistant head for weapon-mount or abuse. You can add a Turbohead for a 50% increase in pencil-point throw. Add an A-19 cell-extender for M4T capability along with the M4T MN61 bulb, and you are now approaching 250 yd. capability. You also have the option of the L6 LED head. The permutations are almost too numerous to list here. Runtimes can vary depending on the bulb/head combination from 20 minutes to 2 1/2 hours. A fine holster is made by SOEgear.som (their "M6" holster!). There is also a choice of tailcaps - the Z-58 click-on/click-off/lockout for utility or the Z41-HA momentary-on/constant-on/lockout for tactical use. It is the ONLY larger Surefire that I carry and I usually carry it in M3/MN11/FM14 configuration.

In short, the C3/P91 is a great light. I would never turn loose of mine. BUT, if you are going to spend money setting up a light with multiple capabilities, start with the M3. It will give you far more options, take you more than twice as far on throw, and is a proven shock-resistant, weapon-mounted combat light.

Hope this helps.

RickDennis

Newly Enlightened
I just got the SureFire 9p. I believe it's the same lamp assembly as the C3 but without the combat grip. Basically, it's a 6p on steroids. So it should give you same output and performance as the C3, but for less cost.

Check Meridian Tactical in the dealer forum for more details.

tracker870

Enlightened
I have a C3, and it has a specific purpose, where 7yds with a stretch to 15yds would be typical useage.
I don't use it for EDC. It's available for tactical occasions, using a "certain" grip technique, if you know what I mean...