Reflectalite GH24 test

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
First I tried this in my 3x123 mag. I was not very impressed but it was still pretty bright (brighter than the 5-cell bulb or the KPR112). Not much brighter, though.

Just for kicks I put it into my 2D mag with 8AA holder and used some fresh alkalines (total of 12V). I personally thought it would 'pop/flash'. This thing was TREMENDOUSLY BRIGHT! I dont know how many lumens this setup is but it made the 3x123/5-cell look like crap.

I know it wouldn't be as bright running NiMH at 9.6V but that will be another test later.

12V + GH24 = No instant pop (so far)

illumiGeek

Enlightened
Actually, 8xNiMh will blow the lamp. The Alkalines are taking a big voltage hit from the current draw. You are not running at 12V.

On 6x NiCad high output cells it is nice and bright. On 7 it usually blows (if not right away, it will soon enough). 8 is gonna be an instapop.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
xpitxbullx said:
First I tried this in my 3x123 mag. I was not very impressed but it was still pretty bright (brighter than the 5-cell bulb or the KPR112). Not much brighter, though.

Just for kicks I put it into my 2D mag with 8AA holder and used some fresh alkalines (total of 12V). I personally thought it would 'pop/flash'. This thing was TREMENDOUSLY BRIGHT! I dont know how many lumens this setup is but it made the 3x123/5-cell look like crap.

I know it wouldn't be as bright running NiMH at 9.6V but that will be another test later.

12V + GH24 = No instant pop (so far)

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmmmm. I've been using the GH24 and the GH24F in my 3x123 Mag-2C host for sometime now and it kicks-butt. So far, these bulbs have proven themselves to be very reliable and bright in this configuration. As a matter of fact, this is the only incandescent that I use anymore.

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
illumiGeek said:
On 6x NiCad high output cells it is nice and bright. On 7 it usually blows (if not right away, it will soon enough). 8 is gonna be an instapop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not trying to question you but is this from personal experience or calculation with the GH24? I really want to push this configuration. Thanks.

udaman

Banned
[ QUOTE ]
xpitxbullx said:
[ QUOTE ]
illumiGeek said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Not trying to question you but is this from personal experience or calculation with the GH24? I really want to push this configuration. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Say xpitxbullx, how many of those GH24's do you have? If you're not willing to instaflash one, I'll buy one off you (or you can wait until I get my hands on an order for a half-dozen) and test it. I think it's something I need to do, a pictorial thread on how to clean the M*g switch/pedestal. It make a huge difference to how much 'juice'-current flow is going to the bulb, if the contacts are oxidized.

I have my doubts about illumiGeek's data, of course the usual YMMV applies. From my notes last night, cleaned contacts everywhere on my old M*g2D, cause the bulbs were flickering as I moved the head for focus/defocusing. Makes a huge difference with clean contacts.

Measured voltage on combo of 2300ma Engergizers (8 will not fit in a M*glite, but a combo of smaller dia cells will just fit) and lower capacity Maha, several hours off fresh charge, measures 11.14v unloaded in the adapter. Install in M*glite, turn switch on, use test lead from DMM, to measure voltage without the bulb installed: 10.99-11.08v. End result, 6v/0.975a Craftsman rechargeable lantern bulb is very bright, near instaflash levels, but it did not instaflash. I would think the GH24 can handle it as the 1.7a load it puts on the battery will cause faster voltage drop than a <1a bulb.

In a day or two after I take pictures of the adapter I will start a review thread, so we can all post results in a centralized area on this adapter, along with the regulated version.

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 4 and I'm very willing to instaflash one or two just for testing sake. If I had more I would send you one. You can get them from reflectalite.com They have VERY fast service. I got mine in 3 days and I live in the states. (They are potted so all you gotta do is drop it in)

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also just potted a magcharger 6V bulb and it seems to be on par with the GH24. Anyone know the amps required for the magcharger 6V bulb?

(I did pretty well potting it myself. I may try a few 1185's and see how they do. I soldered it in with regular solder. I wonder if that may pose a problem later. Don't PM me asking me to pot bulbs. I'm still too new at it) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

illumiGeek

Enlightened
I have experimented quite a bit with the GH24, and flashed more than a few. On very fresh 3x123 it works well, but bright run time is very short. On 6 high output NiCad cells it is very nice; brighter than 3x123 and very durable.

7xNiMh is pushing it, but since NiMh generally have higher internal resistance than NiCad it may work. I had one survive 7xNiCad for a couple of charges. It was "holy-crap" bright; but every one I have tried since then has flashed.

My current config for the GH24 is 6x high output Sanyo NiCad cells in a Mag 3D host with a PMR (the stock Mag reflector will not survive the GH24 for long). This set up works very well.

My favorite lamp for 3x123 in a 2C host is a rather obscure lamp made for Ikelite for their PCa dive light. It kicks butt on 3x123. Throws like mad (out throws the GH24 by far) and has decent run time (over an hour; and the stock reflector seems to be holding up as well).

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered some of them Ikelite 7.2V bulbs. I don't want to pop em since they were $8 a piece. I always use NiMH so hopefully the GH24 will survive 7.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
illumiGeek said:
I have experimented quite a bit with the GH24, and flashed more than a few. On very fresh 3x123 it works well, but bright run time is very short. On 6 high output NiCad cells it is very nice; brighter than 3x123 and very durable.

7xNiMh is pushing it, but since NiMh generally have higher internal resistance than NiCad it may work. I had one survive 7xNiCad for a couple of charges. It was "holy-crap" bright; but every one I have tried since then has flashed.

My current config for the GH24 is 6x high output Sanyo NiCad cells in a Mag 3D host with a PMR (the stock Mag reflector will not survive the GH24 for long). This set up works very well.

My favorite lamp for 3x123 in a 2C host is a rather obscure lamp made for Ikelite for their PCa dive light. It kicks butt on 3x123. Throws like mad (out throws the GH24 by far) and has decent run time (over an hour; and the stock reflector seems to be holding up as well).

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it part number 42.56 that you're referring to in THIS parts list?

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
illumiGeek said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I called Ikelite and got some specs for two lamps. One for the PCA 6AA and the Super-8 RCD 8D.

PCA 6AA bulb part# 004256:
7.2 volts
.8 amp
6 AA alkalines
PR base
halogen
Found online for $7.95

Super-8 RCD 8D bulb part# 004258:
10.4 volts
1.25 amp
8 D alkalines
PR base
halogen
Found online for $9.95

The Ikelite rep told me that the Super-8 RCD is no longer offered with the rechargeable battery pack and now only comes (new) for 8D alkalines.

They both look very interesting. If anyone else has run these with alkalines and nimh's, it would be interesting to see some details and how far they were able to push them successfully. They might be pretty nice, easy to get PR based bulbs .... though not cheap.

illumiGeek

Enlightened
Nascar, that's the one.

I'm trying to remember if the Ikelite lamp survived 7xNiCad? I think it did, and flashed on 8. Oh well... guess I should charge up the Sanyos and see.

BTW: the NiCad cells I am using are the Sanyo CP-1300SCR, which is a high current capable cell that is popular with the RC crowd. You can pull well over 10 AMPS from these things and they hardly blink (I've seen test results at 20A and they actually deliver... just not for very long since they only have a 1300mA capacity).

I tried 6xNiMh AA cells in a 2D host with the GH24 but results were very dissapointing. I think the battery holder had too much resistance since the same batteries worked great in the Ikelite PCa host (until it melted anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif ).

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
You wouldn't happen to know the resistance of the Sony 2100mAh NiMH? I cant seem to find the info. I don't have them yet so I cant test them. They'll be in my mailbox in a couple of days.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Can one of you guys recommend a Ikelite rep? I e-mailed all the addresses they displayed on the distributors list and all messages were bounced back. I'd like to order a few of these #42.56 bulbs.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
I called them at the number listed on their webpage at 317-923-4523. Also, call some of your local dive shops and see if they carry Ikelites, if they do..... ask if they carry replacement bulbs.

If you Google for this part, don't use 42.56 use 004256 and you'll get many hits of places that stock that bulb. Try something like:

ikelite 004256 bulb

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
this_is_nascar said:
Can one of you guys recommend a Ikelite rep? I e-mailed all the addresses they displayed on the distributors list and all messages were bounced back. I'd like to order a few of these #42.56 bulbs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I ordered mine here.

I should have mine in a day or two.

illumiGeek

Enlightened
I get mine from LeisurePro. They have them for $7.95 each.

A bit pricey for a PR lamp, but it puts out a lot of light without burning up your battery budget.

The GH24 does put out more light in total, but it doesn't focus as tight so the Ike6 lamp out throws it. I actually prefer the bigger wall of light from the GH24, but it's too battery hungry to feed with disposable cells. So for my 2C/3x123 I like the Ike6 lamp, and for my larger 3D rechargeable host I go with the GH24 (and for my 2D/3C host I run a Lux3, but that's another story...).

Aloha, iG

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nope. 7AA NiMH's Sony 2100mAh (waited 1/2 a day after charge) instaflashed the GH24. I hope 7AA-NiMH doesn't flash the Ikelite bulb. I guess 6 NiMH is as good as it gets for the GH24. A little brighter than the 3x123.