Nightcutter M60L Combat

Mark2

Enlightened
I'm currently waiting for one of these, I will post my impressions once I got it.

Catman10

Enlightened
I like the look of it too, but the lumen output seemed a little low... Perhaps it was just accurate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif.

C

Cosmic Superchunk

Cool looking light.

I guess it was inevitable to see the term "tactical" make it's way into the world of flashights. Personally, I'm thinking of creating "tactical" pajamas for those midnight raids to the refrigerator and "tactical" underwear, for those "emergency" situations. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jbev

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Cosmic Superchunk said:
"tactical" underwear, for those "emergency" situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

They already have them now, they go by the term "diapers". They even come in different sizes for any situation.

C

Cosmic Superchunk

LOL! Yeah, but add a few pockets, ripstop fabric, make them available in woodland or desert camo and they could be marketed as Special Ops diapers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

lightbulb

Newly Enlightened
I bought the light, its well built, but only came with two optics and no reflector. beam shape sucks from the optics plus theres no clicky switch

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I wanted something "tactical" for honest to god tactical purposes, I would stick to Surefire until the product had a time tested reputation as being up to snuff. My butt is not worth untested, unproven products that might fail at the worst possible time. Let somebody else be a product failure tester.

GregR

fuelblender

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Double_A said:
If I wanted something "tactical" for honest to god tactical purposes, I would stick to Surefire until the product had a time tested reputation as being up to snuff. My butt is not worth untested, unproven products that might fail at the worst possible time. Let somebody else be a product failure tester.

GregR

[/ QUOTE ]

Greg,

Just wondering, why would you need a "tactical" flashlight for working on a HAZMAT/Emergency Response Team? Certainly, Surefire manufactures a quality light, but many Hazardous materials by nature are flammable; seems to me a good quality flashight that is explosion proof and MSHA (Mine Safety and Health Administration) approved would fit the bill better. Webster's Dictionary defines tactical as:

tac-ti-cal (tak'ti kuhl) adj.
1. of or pertaining to tactics, esp.
military or naval tactics.
2. characterized by skillful tactics or
adroit maneuvering or procedure.

Seems to me that Surefire lights are better suited for the police and military; I don't recall any of them having a MSHA rating which classifies them as explosion-proof.

Just curious, that's all.

11/3/04 7:42PM: I assumed that Greg was using Surefire Lights for his profession as his profile indicated his career involved Hazmat/Emergency Response. After re-reading his response, it seems like he wasn't refering to himself. My mistake.

PhilElmore

Newly Enlightened
Hi, everyone. "Google Alert" brought this thread to my attention, so I thought I would jump in.

While it's true that the term "tactical" has become so overused as to become self-parody, I use it in the spirit it was originally intended before that overuse became so prolific. Most here probably remember when "tactical folder" became common (and then too common). The reason the term was originally used, though, was to denote a tool that could also serve as a self-defense implement if need be (implying certain design considerations that make the tool well-suited to such an emergency role).

I don't think it's inappropriate at all to term the NightCutter 5P/5PC, P20, or M60L "tactical lights" because they have design features that make them suitable for personal emergencies and self-defense: pocket clips, momentary-on tailcap switches, and bodies strong enough to withstand a fair amount of crushing force and impact shock. The M60L also ships with interchangeable bezels, one of which has prongs that make it a fairly obvious striking weapon.

newnight16.jpg

I reviewed the M60L (and the P20) here:

http://www.themartialist.com/nightcutter-rev02.htm

I also reviewed the 5P, 5C, and 3C series here:

http://www.themartialist.com/nightcutter-rev01.htm

Now, for full disclosure, be aware that I sell the lights as well...

http://www.themartialist.com/nightcutter.htm

...but that doesn't mean I am not completely honest in my evaluation. I've been publishing The Martialist for a year and a half now and have covered (and will cover) lights from SureFire, Streamlight, Wolf-Eyes, and others. I'm fairly equal-opportunity when it comes to tools and weapons; I like gadgets but my interest does not extend to the high-powered user education that I would imagine characterizes most members here. (I say so in my reviews, too.) I take a fairly basic and pragmatic approach and don't get nearly as in-depth as I'm sure a lot of people here might in evaluating the same lights.

That said, I chose to sell the NightCutters through my site because I like them. I figured, "Hey, it's my site, I'll do what makes me happiest." The folks at NightCutter were willing to work with me and have done right by me time and again, so I thought it only fair if I did the same.

I've been evaluating the SureFire E2D, which also produces 60 lumens (like the M60). (My review puts the two lights head to head.) I like the E2D a lot and have carried it for emergency/self-defense/utility purposes, but ultimately I chose to carry my M60 simply because I liked its features a little better (a larger pocket clip, the ability to de-fang the bezel by switching it to the politically correct one provided). Either light, I think, is definitely "tatical" in the earnest sense of the word. Either would serve the owner well.

Now, I'm a private citizen, not a law enforcement officer, an emergency responder, a soldier, or any other sort of high-speed, low-drag operator. I carry a "tactical" light every day as part of my usual assortment of pocket accessories. I do so primarily because a light is just very handy to have around (I've used my daily carry light for any number of things, from finding my car in dark parking lots to checking hotel room corners to make sure I haven't left anything behind). I also carry it as a self-defense implement.

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome Phil. I enjoyed looking at your website awhile back. I have a couple Nightcutter lights. They have many good features, particularly the size of the Sportlight models and good ability to suck the last photon out of an expensive battery. Do you find the interchangeable optics particularly useful and convenient? Would you say the beam can be made very tight for excellent throw?

PhilElmore

Newly Enlightened
I definitely chose the tighter of the two optics for my carry light and have no plans to change it out. It is tight enough and throws far enough for my purposes; I honestly could not say what the high-end users here would think. I know it is bright enough at realistic distances (read: distances at which I might have to defend myself) to serve as both a self-defense light and a utility light.

The optics (and the bezel) swap out quickly. I don't think it would be terribly convenient to try to carry the extra set and keep switching back and forth, but if you were debating which one to choose for carry it is easy enough to go back and forth to compare.

External

Newly Enlightened
Phil,
Do you ship the lights Internationally? And how much would it cost. (I couldn't find any info on your site).
Sam

PhilElmore

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I do ship internationally. Standard shipping is charged through the shopping cart software based on order total -- it's enough to cover USPS international, which is the most cost-effective means (UPS overseas costs like twenty or thirty bucks, depending on the location). I can't remember where I set the shipping thresholds, but we're talking maybe seven or eight bucks total. You can always e-mail me through the site to make specific arrangements, if you like (though it was not my intent to score sales by chiming in on the thread -- I do not want it to look that way).

PhilElmore

Newly Enlightened
Yesterday at my Kung Fu school my instructor asked to see my M60L, which I've been carrying since I got it. Before I could stop him he turned it over towards his face and triggered it right in his own eyes.

"Don't do that--" I said, too late.

"Wow," he said, blinking. "I can still see it right there. My eyes are burning."

Sixty lumens may not be enough to send your enemies falling to the ground with molten faces (particularly in broad daylight rather than in low light conditions), but it's definitely powerful enough to be unpleasant to most people (and therefore provide an advantage in a self-defense situation).

WA9YHX

Newly Enlightened
Re:[1] Nightcutter M60L Combat

I'm not sure if this comparison has been made, but I currently own the Ombu X-55 and Surefire L4 Lumamax. Both of which are 5 Watt Luxeon Star LED's. I was considering adding the Nightcutter M60L to my collection, because of its unusual style and features (interchangeable components). The X-55 and L4 are both 65 lumens, where the M60L is rated at 60 lumens (from what I've read. Is this anything appreciable? I would appreciate any correction(s) or opinions before making the plunge on another top-shelf LED flashlight.

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re:[1] Nightcutter M60L Combat

[ QUOTE ]
WA9YHX said:
The X-55 and L4 are both 65 lumens, where the M60L is rated at 60 lumens (from what I've read. Is this anything appreciable?

[/ QUOTE ]

Smart__s answer:

It's like a guitar amp that goes up to 11 instead of 10.

Serious answer:
No. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Latest posts