LED flashlight dimmer switch fesability?

Northernflame

Newly Enlightened
Hi.

I'm curious as to others opinions on dimmer switches on flashlights.

Granted there are "press once = low power", "Press twice = highpower).

However I'm talking about a very small rotating knob (POT resistor) much the same as seen on houshold lighting or a celing fan speed control.

Granted it might be a bit cumbersome, or perhaps have the
pot internaly and ajusted by the flashlight head (like a mini mag).

A circular resistor much the same used in those childrens electric track racing car toys.

The only advantage to this would possibly be battery life and in places that have very reflective surfaces and a "too bright" a beam is hard on the eyes (hot spot).

However it's interesting to speculate..

Thanks.

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight sells a digitalized tail cap for their SL-35x that controls both strobe and dimming capabilities... I bought one a year ago and it is a nice thing to have, not terribly expensive either...

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found a really simple PWM circuit I have been starting to use, works from about 5% to almost 100%, if the pot has an 'off' section it works great. Only problem is that you need a higher voltage to start with. If you start with 6v (4 batts) it can work.

Jeff

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I thought about putting in a potentiometer with the tail end *click* off switch when turned all the way the the left in a light I have. I may consider it in a headlamp. It would be a cheap thing to do to extend runtime dramatically instead of having to build a fancy circuit to count push button presses etc.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Dukester said:
Streamlight sells a digitalized tail cap for their SL-35x that controls both strobe and dimming capabilities... I bought one a year ago and it is a nice thing to have, not terribly expensive either...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm. Only $24.95 at briteguy. Also works with SL-20X. How do you like your SL-35X, by the way? Does it throw real far? Also, how much can that dimmer dim the output?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I was thinking that the Streamlight tailswitch dimmer could allow for a softer start to bulb. I wonder if the dimmer reduces voltage, or current?

Bill

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Re: LED flashlight dimmer switch feasability?

I was going to mention reduced water-resistance when using a pot, but I see I got beaten to it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

with a properly made plastic knob and a round hole and an O ring you could probably make it water resistant... kinda like the knob on/off switches in lanterns such as flourescent colemen and rayovac kids adventure light.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast

I also have the SL dimmer tailswitch, and am using it on my SL-20X w/ 35X LA. It can dim down quite a bit; rough eye estimates would be from the 300-400 lumens on high to perhaps 10 or so on low. A lot of range. And the strobe function works very well; it sure is an eye catcher like no other signal light I've ever seen. The tailcap works very well, and is a slick piece of equipment. An extra bonus: it allows the SL-20X to stand on end more with more stability than the stock cap.