Is Gerber LX 3.0 the best for AA ?

hanuman

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for some Christmas gifts for some people who live in Asia. From Throw/Output chart from Flashlightreviews.com, it seems Gerber LX3.0 can be the best choice for AA. about one inch longer than Streamlight Jr Luxeon but superior output even after running for one hr ( info from ledmuseum.com, 30% drop after one hr). There are just a few comments about Gerber LX3.0 in this group. Both ledmuseum and flashlightreviews.com give very positive comments about it. I am just concerned about the switch.
Is it hard to use, reliable ? Please let me know if anyboby has any bad experience about it. I had a bad experience on the switch of my first CMG sonic ultra. I couldn't turn it on most of the time.
How about Gerber LX1.0 ? Does anybody see runtime test anywhere ?

Thanks,
Ron

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 3.0 switch it a simple and easy to use twist tail cap switch. I've had no problems with the switch or the light. The 3.0 is longer then most lights because it uses 3AA batteries in series, uses DD and a very sturdy, heavy, design. The light makes a good "door knocker". It is a fine light.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LX1.0 has an excellent twisty switch. It has just the right stiffness (after a little use) for positive action without moving by itself. I tested it with 2000 mah nimhs and found it took about 9 and half hours to go to half brightness. It started at about 250 cd and stayed above 200 for (I think) more than 8 hours.

I don't have the 3.0, but it looks like the 1.0 has a wider flood type beam than the 3.0, which I prefer for normal use.

C

Cosmic Superchunk

I've got a Gerber LX3.0 as well. The switch isn't difficult at all to operate. Even though it's a bit too long for everyday carry, it makes a good flashlights for use around the home or camp. I really like mine.

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can someone tell me the OD" (overall diameter) of the LX-3? Why? Before I spend the money on one, I'd like to find out if some of my NitEZ items from my old MiniMag-AA will fit.

chiphead
--------------------------
Tired of tubes rolling around in my pocket.

Raven

Enlightened
I've seen two pictures of the LX3. In one picture, the body looks like aluminum, and in the other, the light has a grey finish.

Are there two different body types?

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
LX3.0 isn't going to fit any of my MiniMag stuff. I'd wish they'd put a pocket clip or something on it. Other than that, it looks good.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
chiphead