Monster portable flashlights

*Retired*
http://about.eyetap.org/tech/flashpics.shtml

And you thought you had the monster....

huge.jpg

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Back in the early days of portable computers, they weren't very portable, and someone coined the word "luggable" for them.

This is a luggable flashlight...

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
...doesn't count.....it's a flash (strobe) light! ....wonder what the ASA rateing that thing has?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wow.gif

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
you sure it isn't a weapon of sort sort... maybe a laser.... ooops shouldn't have said that the laseraholics would be drooling bad over a laser pointer of that size you could skywrite on the moon with it.

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow. I'm accustomed to seeing flashlamp capacities expressed in watt-secs [joules]. The tube in that one can handle 11 WHr in a single pulse! This is about the entire energy content of 3 CR123 cells discharged in single flash pulse. I remember seeing some old military film footage of a newpaper held in front of one of these flashtubes. It would burst into flames when the flash went off.

Robban

Enlightened
Must be a pain in the behind to change all those 123's... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
oh, ok it is a prototype secret military PULSE cannon then, next in line for a photon torpedo I presume.

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Roy said:
...doesn't count.....it's a flash (strobe) light! ....wonder what the ASA rateing that thing has?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wow.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, Roy, at least it wouldn't take you long to do the runtime test. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
He would have to wear a welding helmet to do the test or we wouldn't see the results for awhile.....

Flatscan

Enlightened
Goodness, that's big, and a lot of power.

OT: Anyone else recognize the building in the background and the painted marks on the bridge?

Hint. This is roughly where the last photo on the linked page was taken from.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Someone needs to mod a mini mag with that reflector... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lookslike one of the sodium lights in the shop where i work.

All we need now is that photo of Al Franken with the one meter satellitie dish on his head from SNL.

jtice

Flashaholic
muuuhahahaha,, the Photon Phantom definately needs one of these ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I hear that mcdonalds is thinking about cooking their fries with one of those, less grease involved I guess.