Foggy night.

FluffyGrunt

Enlightened
Had some fairly thick fog last night so I did what any normal and fully sane individual would do, I ran outside with a bunch of lights to see what they could do.

The lights: Pelican M10, PT Surge, Arc-LSH standard, Kl3 on 6P, E2E MNO3, White Everled, Red Everled, Teal Everled, (Rayovac 2D industrial, 2D Garrity Steelbeam, 2C Mag-lite)with the Everleds, 1.5 million cp Vector, 1 million cp Vector Banana, Dual beam Vector 3 million cp.

I was using a row of bushes across the street as a target. They were all able to reach out the 50 - 60 feet. Some better then others but they were all useable at that distance. The Surge and M10 were among the best at this distance. The LSH, KL3, and E2e were too diffuse they lit up the bushes but not very well. White everled in Rayovac 2D was also weak at this distance, it did much better in the 2c Mag. The Red Everled in the 2C Mag-lite and 2D Garrity did well, better in the Mag-lite though. It seemed to reflect less light back at me then the other lights. (The red beam also looked the coolest IMHO /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif). The Teal Everled in the Garrity did ok but really lit up the fog. The spotlights of course had no problem with this distance.

The dissappointing part came when I tried to light up some tombstones behind the bushes, maybe 80-100 feet. The Surge and M10 barely produced a glimmer on some of the lighter colored tombstones. The Everleds did about the same, barely a glimmer on some tombstones. Then I grabbed the 1.5 Million CP spot and taa - da diddly squat, the Banana Vector more diddly. Then I grabbed the 3 million cp 200 watt Vector conifident that it had the power to get through the fog, pulled the trigger and bam... lots of um fog. Still couldn't see anything past about 100 feet. The spotlights were able to reach a little farther then the other lights but were talking 20 - 30 feet farther. Basically for any actual distance all of my lights were useless. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Looking into the cemetary without any of my lights on I could see the outline of trees and tombstones 200 feet or more away. Oh well the light beams looked neat in the fog so what if they don't actually help me see.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
perhaps an amber cover on your spotlights would help. I saw one at walmart that comes with an yellow cover a few days ago.

GutWrench

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
FluffyGrunt said:
Had some fairly thick fog last night so I did what any normal and fully sane individual would do, I ran outside with a bunch of lights to see what they could do.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy23.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Latest posts