How's your Halloween?

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
How\'s your Halloween?

Here's how my evening is going. I woke up early (2pm), went to the hardware store and Best Buy and came home around 5-5:20 pm to kids already making their rounds.

I took advantage of County Comm's keychain light sale last month in the hopes of handing out the little things for Halloween.

I thought I had enough, but I underestimated.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/oops.gif

When we lived in Georgia, we had at most 10 kids. When we lived in Texas, we had 30-40. In our new house here in Colorado, we're at the edge of a very large neighborhood.

I thought that 2 bags of lights would be enough, and I got some candy just in case. Now, I'm out of lights, I'm out of candy, and I'm down to handing out Nutri-Grain breakfast bars and MY cans of Mountain Dew! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/aaa.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

I guess I'll be spending quite a bit more next year.

So how is everyone else doing this All Hallow's Eve?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Re: How\'s your Halloween?

I got my first Trick-Or-Treaters about half an hour ago. Lasered them with my yellow laser pointer, put a "snack sized" Three Muskerteers bar in each of their plastic pumpkin candy containers, and told their mother they were the first Trick-Or-Treaters I've had this year.

In the porch ceiling light fixture, there is a blacklight "Glow Up" CFL blub that I brought over when I moved, so the porch is about as spooky as it's going to get.

All I can do now is wait for the doorbell to ring again.
This is my first Halloween as a giver of candy; as I've lived in apartments until just this month, and we don't get Trick-Or-Treaters in apartment buildings in the most urban areas of Seattle or any other large city.

(Edit, a little while later)
I just had four more little ghouls, which I promptly lased (at belly-button level or below) and gave candy to. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast

an hour later, I'm out of breakfast bars, I'm out of Mountain Dew and just now I'm out of Propel. I drink a combo of Propel and Mountain Dew at work, so I usually have enough.

I'm looking at either handing out canned soup or just turning out the lights and hiding. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/str.gif

I'm estimating I've had upwards of 120 kids so far. I'd go to the store, but WalMart is the only one open and I don't feel like making a 45 minute round trip. It seems like the scariest part of Halloween is having sugar crazed children freak out cause they made the trip up the driveway only to get stiffed.

Edit: found a few more granola bars in the back of the closet..
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Craig--I've got a blacklight on as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Kids thought it was neat that their costumes were lit up.

Jack_Crow

Enlightened

Hi all,
Flow,
You got dog biscuits? Just an idea.

As for haloween, it was quiet here.

The base had a 'block party' with some outdoor cooking and a volyball match.

I programed up some stories for the radio station. Found a CD of Basil Rathbone and Vincent Price reading from Edger Allen Poe.

A quiet night here is a good thing.

If we did get some 'kids' looking for hand outs at the tent, I got a gift of some 'wasabi' coated peanuts. Wasabi is that green horseraddish like product you get with sushi. In this state it's a lot like sucking on a 9v batt.

Hope all is well
Jack Crow in Iraq

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey there Jack,

When my wife was over there last year, they had a small party in the hospital. Unfortunately it got broken up by an inbound chopper.

It would have been interesting to be there to see the expression on the GI's face when he woke up to a Ragady-Ann nurse and Dracula doc. As if the medications weren't bad enough /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drunk.gif

I found part of the problem--Mom is driving some of these kids from neighborhood to neighborhood. Back in my day we drug our candy-laden pillowcases from house to house at warp speed and we were usually too tired to lug 25 pounds around once it got late.

I think the kids have pretty much stopped for the night. It's cold and it's starting to drizzle, so that might have something to do with it.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

I've gotten nine kids total tonight...now I'm seriously thinking about putting at least two Three Muskerteers bars in each candy receptacle (I've seen plastic pumpkins and pillowcases tonight) from this point on.

turbodog

Flashaholic

Hmmmm, absolutely none here. Our neigborhood had it on Friday night. Then we had a bonfire and cookout last night for the adults. All quiet.

Mrd 74

Enlightened

Carved a "Shrek" pumpkin and set a strobe light up to look like lightning inside the house.Got 132 kids between 5:30 and 8:00 and 7 "nice pumpkin" compliments.Gotta get canned thunder and organ music for next year.

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast

So far I've been to 3 parties...and I've got two more to go to. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'm gonna have a hell of a headache in the morning... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

It rained on and off all night.

We had from around 6 - 7 the neighbor kids in their skeleton, spiderman, princess etc costumes with real candy holders.

Then we get truckload afater truckload of ethnic trick or treaters. Now we have perhaps 25% in costume and the bulk of the kids (young adults) carry pillowcases.

Then at about 8pm (on a school night) we shut down. People kept at until a little after 9.

Halloween trick or treating is for the LITTLE kids!!!! DAMMIT!

Draco_Americanus

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
It rained on and off all night.

We had from around 6 - 7 the neighbor kids in their skeleton, spiderman, princess etc costumes with real candy holders.

Then we get truckload afater truckload of ethnic trick or treaters. Now we have perhaps 25% in costume and the bulk of the kids (young adults) carry pillowcases.

Then at about 8pm (on a school night) we shut down. People kept at until a little after 9.

Halloween trick or treating is for the LITTLE kids!!!! DAMMIT!

[/ QUOTE ]

Please define "little kids" ?
lol
I was at my dad's home and We had 8 kids, one I thought was a bit old for candy but heck it's only 1 time a year and We had plenty of candy and some times people just don't grow up.(This is assuming the teenagers bother with a costume, no costume, no candy)
I kept tricker treating till I was 18, I never did realy "grow up" now if I could just get out of diapers...

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

I got a grand total of 9 Trick-Or-Treating kids in three groups last night.
First two, then three, then four.

All of them received treats, not tricks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Though I did laser each of them at belly-button level or lower with just over 2mW of yellow laser radiation at 593.5nm. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Needless to say, there are a lot of fun-sized Three Muskerteers bars left.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast

I had zero kids, but then again I live in an apartment complex, where it's not that convenient for trick-or-treating. But I was armed with Hershey bars and Clark bars. I guess I'll have to eat them all myself....oh darn!

flashlight_widow

Enlightened

We had probably about 75 kids or so, handed out loads of candy! The husband carved 2 pumpkins that got lots of compliments from parents. Fortunately the rain held off until around 8:30 or so.

CajunBabe

Newly Enlightened

Been staying with my parents recovering from recent surgery, this was my first "outing". We had tons of kids come by (maybe 100 or so). Got to see many great costumes and a few nifty lights (no high tech lights). Weather held up just fine, very cloudy with a slight breeze.

Seeing all those kids trick or treating brought back many great memories. Now I just need to stay away from the left over candy!

CajunBabe

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast

We had about 100 or so kids from 6pm till around 8pm. My 23 month old son had a blast putting candy in bags and pumpkins. After all the candy was gone I turned out the lights and took my son in his fireman outfit around the block to see the halloween decorations and get candy. Had my VIP in my pocket, but didn't get the chance to use it.

fireman.jpg

Lara

Newly Enlightened

I went to a private (dark) costume party. I carried a very small red LED keychain light that I used to light up my face from below to look real scary when the need arose. The Inova 24/7 was put to use in the red/orange dim mode to illuminate a little ghost figure.