Ambulance Medic Needs a light. HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maker102

Newly Enlightened
OK guys I need your advise again. I am planning on getting a good quality light for my wife for Christmas. I have looked at the LED's and to be quite honest was not impressed. I believe they will become the light of the future but just not bright enough yet. Anyway I am looking for a very compact light that will be worth carrying in just about all situations. I do not have a problem with 123's and to be honest I would like to stay away from the rechargeables due to the fast response time required (another thing to pick up after the callout). On a run she has run into situations where a bright light was required before headlights and spotlights could be arranged such as one recent incident where a woman was thrown from the car. Naturally in a multiple car accident I can see her needing a light for maybe 20-40 minutes. I have been looking at the Streamlight Scorpion. Money is always a concern but I don't think I will scrimp on this item, so let loose. Thanks in advance for your help and guidance.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
IMHO...the Scorpion is a fine light for ocasional use. But with time and usage, the rubber wrap on the body of the Scorpion tends to get loose and start to slide around. I wouldthink that almost any 2x123 incadesent light would be ok....Streamlight has a couple and on the high end there are the SureFires! The SureFire L-4 is a 5w LED that will light up the countryside...it is more flood than beam. It is in the $160 range though. The SureFire G2 is a 2x123 incadesent light that has a high strength plastic polymer body and is in the same light class as the Scorpion and is in the less than $50 range.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Incandescents, such as the Scorpion 2L, are very bright, but run time is short (45min.-1 hour), and the batteries poop out very abruptly.

A Streamlight TL-2 LED would be bright enough for most any task, gives a wonderful spill light, and will last for hours at declining light levels. It WON'T abruptly quit in a life threatening situation.

There are many others in this 1/3 watt league, Surefire, Pelican M6 LED, Gerber LX 3.0 (uses three AA's).

Quickbeams review site here

will give you the info.

I see Roy just posted; he has run time charts that will help you make a choice.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another plus for the G2 is the yellow body that's available.
Easier to find when you really need it.

The Pelican M6 is a very robust light with a good beam. Lamp assemblies are about 1/3 the cost of the Surefires. It's a little larger than the G2. Last time I looked, Battery Station still had some for around $35.

HunkaBurninLove

Newly Enlightened
LED: As Roy mentioned, the Surefire L4 is an expensive but nice light. I wasn't much of an LED fan but the L4 is a very nice LED light. A cheaper alternative would be a Streamlight TL3 LED light.

Incandescents: I like the Surefire Executive or C series. Because of the modularity of the Surefires, she could always go up to a 3x123 configuration or LED lighthead.

Just my 2 cents /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
A Surefire L4 would be great.

I would add a Ripoffs CO-124 holster. I have been using this holster for a year or two with complete satisfaction. It is easy to clip on and both the light and holster are secure.

Here's Quickbeam's review of the Surefire L4

Kiessling

Flashaholic
If you think LED lights aren't powerful enough you have not yet witnesses the most advanced ones! But you're in the right place here ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Like Roy said, the SF L4 is a formidable flood light with the power of the E2e (regulated!), or have a look at the Aleph-Series from McGizmo (in his forum) or some Nuwai light or ...

bernhard

B@rt

Flashaholic
Another vote for the Aleph! Get the #2 bezel with beamshaper and I'm sure she will be deLIGHTED... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif The 2 stage switch allows for both moderate and bright light, IMHO the best option available at the moment.

cognitivefun

Enlightened
How about a Strion? Rechargable, I paid $80 for mine and I love it. It is my EDC now.

HesNot

Enlightened
I'll put in another recommendation for a Strion and it has a car charger as well as a home charger. It is a great little light.

I do find that the Strion beam, compared say to my most powerful LED which is a Madmax Lux III, if you're trying to spot something there isn't much of a comparison. I haven't seen an LED light that will have the throw of an incandescent.

I would think, however, if she only is going to carry one light that a Streamlight Twintask 2L or a Surefire A2 would be a nice option, you get a long running tasklight with the LEDs and at the flip of a switch a pretty nice (but not exceptional) incandescent.

BobVA

Enlightened
Is this for looking for victims in the dark? Or treatment?

Go incandescent for the first - you need a long throw to poke around in the woods, and something like a Surefire A2 or G2 would be good, as is the Scorpion.

I'd think the beam would be WAY to tight to use these for illuminating a patient for treatment, though. I'd think the beam from an L4 would be just about ideal.

Remember the CPF battle cry: Buy both! You might want to look at a modified 2C maglight (KPR-112 or GP24 and 3x123 cells) for the occasional "throw" applications, particularly if you get an aftermarket reflector. Then throw the big bucks at an L4 which I bet she'll use most of the time.

I love a light with a long throw, but practically speaking my L4 gets a lot more use than the photon cannons.

Cheers,
Bob

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
The two lights I always have on me for night MVA's are my Tigerlight and Surefire L4. Ive found that sheer amount of light is more important than throw in these cases. TL is great for scanning the scene, assessing the amount and type of damage to the vehicle(s), finding ejected patients (Havent had to do this thankfully), and surveying general scene safety. When caring for a PT, you really dont need any more throw than your reach, and the L4 does an amazing job of lighting up the ENTIRE working area. The work area includes situations where the PT is still in the vehicle where it us usually very dark even with scene lights on. If I had to choose between the two, Id choose the TL since the rings or rescue trucks usually have handlanterns.

davidra

Enlightened
It's a little bigger, but I just got my new T3, and it clearly outthrows my G2 and the spill is adequate for most situations. Bulb will never blow out. It's a little unclear whether you want throw or fill, but if you're trying to signal cars coming, you might consider the T3..at under $60, it's very solid and bright.

14C

Enlightened
L4 with a lanyard. And if you do tell her to keep her eyes on it. When people see how these work they tend to get "borrowed" an awful lot. I think you can beat the $ 160 price point too.

notrefined

Enlightened
LED headlamp with a nice flood would be good for patient care, considering it's kinda hard to work one-handed. I'd go with a Surefire G2 (or equivalent) or modded Mag 2C for more light, depending on just how much she needs.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems that some considerations have to be made before you choose a light to give your wife for her intended purpose.

First it needs to be dependable. To me, this leaves incands out. I've had my own personal emergencies that required a light and have, more than once, wound up cursing because the lamp had blown. LEDs are the king of the hill for this. You NEVER have to worry about a blown bulb or a shock popping the one you're using.

Second, you said that she will typically use it for 20 to 40 minutes. I would have to say a regulated light for constant brightness that won't dim. I like the A2, but due to reasons stated above, I'd again go for an LED.

Third, if you go with an LED, you would have to consider that your wife will probably be laying the light down while she works and then picking it up again, so heat will have to be a consideration. Both incands and LED lights get hot. With an LED you can go for a light that is kind of small, but has some mass and keep it at a conservative bias like 500mA. 500mA will get you a very healthy dose of light output, long runtime and mild heat.

Lastly, you said that she will probably have the occassion to have to go looking for someone. This would suggest something that offers a decent amount of sidespill, but also has a good throw. I'd say something with a 27mm reflector or larger.

LED lights have some distinct advantages. The regulated ones don't dim as the batteries drain. You don't have to worry about blown bulbs, and they can be had with at least two levels of light output.

After considering the above factors and the fact that you want to stay away from 123's, what I would suggest is something along the lines of an Aleph I head with a nice T bin Lux III running at 500mA (Nexgen converter). This will get you very good throw and a nice sidespill, along with minimal heat and a good runtime.

For the body, I'd go with a Balrog three cell body. Although this body was designed for 3X123's, it works equally as well with 2 AA's.

I'd cap it all off with a McE2S tail switch. This will give your wife two levels of light. Low level for those up close tasks and an insanely long runtime, and a high level for really reaching out.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would think it the light may have to be deconned then a G2 or G2z might be the way to go?

Streak

Enlightened
The L4 puts out great light but gets too hot to have on continuously.
The G2, Scorpion etc. will probably cost too much to run considering that the bulb only lasts 2 or 3 battery changes.
Even though you siad no rechargeables based on the frequent use you should re-consider. Streamlights's Strion and Polystinger would be ideal and they also come with 12v vehicle chargers so the light could be kept mounted at home or in the car.

PhantomZ

Enlightened
i have to agree with Chop, staying away from incans and using LEDs instead cause they are more durable.

i dont own any of these lights(yet! waiting for L2 in the mail!!!) and i've never been in an emergency situation before but maybe i can recommend the SF L2 instead of the L4? for the L4 you only get 65 lumens for 60 mins followed by 1.5 hours of lower output. with the L2 you can choose and switch between low output 15 lumens for 8 hours for close up work when you dont want to blind yourself or others, then switch to 100 lumens on high for 60 mins when you might need to do a search for someone. the L2 is about an inch longer then the L4 though but IMO i think the L2 is a better option.

K-T

*Moderator*
I am with B@rt and Bernhard regarding the lights, you might want to take a look at either the Aleph series or an L4, both with the McE2S switch. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.