Hi all!! Suggestions on a good LED light for boating emergency kit.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

The topic says it all. I am leaning towards an attitude, but I'm not sure if it will fit the bill. And I dont want to use my ARC LS, because it may end up at the bottom
blush.gif

Eric

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
EternaLights.
The marine model is marine yellow, floats leds up, flashes, sends SOS, and runs a long time. Comes with Li batteries, so the storage life is long.

Brock

Flashaholic
I would second the EternaLights. I keep them in a ziploc with lithiums our boat and always take them with me on a delivery (moving boats from one place to another for $). They seem to work the best because they are truly waterproof and you can set them to a dim level for nighttime use.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
If the light is expected to get kicked & thrashed, fall into bait buckets, fall into the bilge, have the gas can tip over onto it, fall in the head, or knock around inside a perpetually wet storage bay when not being used, you might want to go with any of the Trek or Expedition lights. They're all rated to no less than 300 feet, and they should be fuel-resistant, at least for short exposure. No guarantees on the rubber cussion part of the lanyard with regards to gasoline, but I think the rest of the flashlight will shrug it off with no permanent damage except maybe a faint, lingering gasoline odor.
smile.gif

If you're going to at least try and protect it from prolonged and deep submergence, or if you actually expect it to go overboard now and again and don't want to see your flashlight go blub blub blub all the way to the abyss, then the Eternalight Ergo Marine with lithium batteries may be a better option. It's a bit more delicate and less submergible, but when used with lithium batteries, it floats if it goes over the side. Just remember to scoop it out of the water with something other than the gaff hook.
smile.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
Define boating emergency...In chat the other night Peter told us that Energizer "isn't" working on lithium AAAs. So when Energizer doesn't come out with lithium AAAs a Arc AAA loaded with a lithium might be perfect, only problem is the fact that they haven't come out with them and they "aern't" working on them.

That doesn't rule out the Arc AAA completely, just would need some more maintence...like changing the battery once a year or so.

Equip it with a tether and a SS Clip and I think it might be perfect for about half the cost of a Eternalight. Then again I don't know how extreme you expect the emergencies that the kit will be used for to be. I am thinking like get stuck on a lake or something without any gas and need light type of Emergency, not a "The Perfect Storm" type emergency.

watt4

Enlightened
a tiny single AAA battery light doesn't sound like a good choice to me. like a car, a boat should have enough room for a bigger brighter light. (multiple batteries/multiple LEDs)

if possible, choose a floating model. it's one less thing to worry about, and that feature may save your butt if you go overboard and it slips from your hands.

hmmmm....in still water, a floating flashlight can be used to mark a spot.

sotyakr

Enlightened
Here's an interesting testimonial from the TechAss site.

FWIW, I almost always keep either my EternaLight 3 (w/AA lithiums) or EliteXRay in the pocket of my PFD whenever I go kayaking.