EZ to make ARC AAA foam pads

Status
Not open for further replies.

cy

Flashaholic
With ARC's demise, little parts that we have taken for granted. Like ARC AAA foam pads are all but exinct. Dr. Scholl's small corn pads are correct poron material and fit's Arc LS & AA. but would not fit the AAA.

Here is a way to punch out ARC AAA foam pads. Start with size small corn pads. procure a sharp 7/16 punch. You end up with a pad for AA & AAA.

arc aaa pad.JPG

simbad

Enlightened
Ive also tried the "Armacell" sticky back foam that I use to wrap the copper pipes of the aircon units, it´s quite the same thickness, 4mm. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif

cy

Flashaholic
Simbad, the reason for using Dr. Scholls. it's made out of poron, which resist crushing. slightly different durameter and different color, but most importantly the correct material as spec'd by Peter.

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
While you're at it, I'll pass on another little tip. If you make the OD for the AAA a little smaller, it works MUCH better. Doesn't interfere with the lube on the threads and doesn't leave some of its own material on the threads when you remove and put the head back on.

I've trimmed all of mine a year or two ago. I trimmed the ARC ones into a rounded conical shape and love the way they work. Another advantage is less resistance - easier to operate, but still enough to prevent rattle.

cy

Flashaholic
kitelights thanks for pointing that out. please notice in the photo above. the smaller foam pad was cut out with a 3/8 punch instead of 7/16 like original size.

when you cut out a 3/8 pad the remaining ring is exactly same size as original ARC LS/AA pad.

arc aaa pad 2.JPG

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kitelights is right on this - some people suggest dumping the foam into the battery tube so you never see the foam again! Works great for me!

Thanks cy for the punch sizes.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
How do I remove the adhesive if I wanna go foamless. I don't mind the rattle at all and I like the feeling.

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
What you making a shakelight? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Why would you want to do that? Cy even took the time to show how to make foam rings.

It's not hard, just rip it off and scratch the remaining gunk with your fnails.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
<--no access to those punches and when I put the rings on the adhesive ALWAYS gets on the solder blob

Status
Not open for further replies.