UV Luxeon emitter?

d'mo

Enlightened
I'm curious if anyone knows if there is such an animal as an UV Luxeon emitter. Anyone know? Anything out there in a comparable package size / electrical requirements?

Thanks,
dave

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Nothing that I'm aware of.
That doesn't mean that there isn't a Luxeon-like NUV LED emitter out there somewhere, but if there is, I'm not aware of it.

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think there's a fundamental problem with producing a part like this. That kind of output at those kinda wavelenths is going to effectively "eat itself" very rapidly. UV does nasty things to both epoxy lenses and semiconductor junctions (why EPROMS are erased under shortwave UV). Making one isn't hard - making one that will last more than a couple of hours however, that is hard.

Someone may well get around this, but until then, the Luxeon Dental and Royal Blue are about as short as the wavelenths from Luxeons get.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
But there are powerful UV LEDs in the multi-watt range, IIRC McGizmo and tvodrd both built lights around them ... might wanna ask those gentlemen /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
bernhard

Zackerty

Enlightened
I might be out of line here, but what about Clarex UV transmission filters from Astra Products from New York?
I made some Infra Red and UV filters a few years ago, for
a few mates with Maglites, for Night Vision use.
Try [email protected]

Stu

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
pm6uv4.jpg

This is a six watt NUV LED array, found in my Pelican M6 NUV LED Conversion flashlight.
It has 50 dice (light-emitting chips) on it; it isn't a single-chip emitter.