Color Changing Night Lights from Costco

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Four pack of LED night lights at Costco for $12 made by Megabrite Lighting (manf in China). Photocell controlled - on at dusk and off at dawn. The light automatically rotates though all seven colors - red, green, blue, yellow, teal, purple, and white for about 4 seconds on each color, or you can set it to stay on any one of the seven colors.

They're shaped similar to a traditional old fashioned night light, but the "shield" is a piece of acrylic (3 x 1 3/4) that acts as a light pipe and is engraved/carved to make it attractive.

I don't know how to shorten the link - cut and paste and take out the space that makes the line break:

http://tinyurl.com/4n3mm

Edit: link shortened - Empath

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
I picked up a package of those right after they showed up at the Fort Worth Costco. Really, they're decent little nightlights all things considered, especially at only $3 each. Not quite as much fun as the CK lightwasher type lights, but more worth the $$$ IMHO.

However, I like to watch them do their thing during the day as well as at night. Taping over the photocell with black PVC tape didn't do the trick, so I opened up a couple of the lights and removed the photocell altogether. This allows the lights to run all the time while they're plugged in. It would be even easier to open the lights up and just clip one lead of the photocell.

They use a common 4 lead oval shaped opaque lensed LED. This means there is one common ground (-) lead, and a positive (+) lead for each individual colored LED die (R,G,B).

At the measly low wattage they operate at (I think it was 0.06W but not sure as I'm quoting that from memory), leaving these things run all day still costs next to nothing. I really like the fact that you can freeze them on any color, including white.

Well worth the $$$, IMHO.

***edit***
Here is a link to the manufacturer's homepage.

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw some color changing nightlights (I think they were the panel type) at Walgreens last week at 6th and Vermont in downtown Los Angeles.

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up a pack a few weeks ago, I expected CK Lightwasher output, but for the price its hard to beat.

Also the color shift isn't as smooth as a lightwaster

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
MrMom - Too bad this thread didn't come to light a couple of weeks ago. I am in Cheektowaga across the street from the airport for the next few weeks. I could have brought you a package from Texas. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif

[ QUOTE ]
V8TOYTRUCK said:
I picked up a pack a few weeks ago, I expected CK Lightwasher output, but for the price its hard to beat.

Also the color shift isn't as smooth as a lightwaster

[/ QUOTE ]

True on both counts. Nowhere near as bright as any of the CK products; but then again, I don't think they were meant to be.

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got one of these about a year ago, and put it in the kids room, after about 2 weeks the blue died, I found that the driver in the base wasnt really good and overran the LED.
Jeff

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Okay...just talked to my buddy, he got a pack of these and set them on blue. This morning (early in the a.m.), his wife got up to go to the bathroom. She looked down the stairway and "saw a shadow" and then the light changed color. They were "set" for only blue (no color wash effects).

In three days, it will be the 3rd anniversary of her mother's death in a car wreck. She's kind of "freaking" out.

I and her husband (my friend), told her it was probably a power fluctuation that caused the light to "glitch"...

Hmmmmm? Might have to set up one of those "ghost cams" like the one in that hospital!