CHRISTMAS, parents.... what should I do?!?

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello everyone. I was working during the summer and saved up $120 for my parents for christmas. I REALLY want to get them a light. My mom drives everywhere everyday, she transports kids (6) to and from school. I was thinking that I should get her a smaller light, maybe for her purse.

My dad, he camps with the cubscouts and ALWAYS, every single campout, ask Mwo (me) for my cheap maglite. Due to the fact that I dispise maglites, I let him keep it.

So, the question, what should I get my parents?

-tom

Ratso

Enlightened
Get your dad a drop in Luxeon LED module for his maglite.

Any 1 Lithium light would be suitable to carry in a purse. The Streamlight TT 1L or Surefire E1e are good choices. A CMG Infinity Ultra AA might even be suitable if she does not need a great deal of light.

tequilathursday

Newly Enlightened
I also like the T1 for mom idea. My girlfriend loves it, so I'll be getting her a new one for Christmas. But the E1e is also a winner and smaller too...

Dad's are easy, anything is good as long as it's cool /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd vote for one of the Nightcutter lights, and get it engraved so it's really a one of a kind gift. .

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, thanx. The first time I looked at the light it was from WWII! It looks old-fashion and is EXPENSIVE. NO WAY.

Sorry, I am looking at pelican, gerber, SUREFIRE, or ..... I dont know

Specop_007

Newly Enlightened
I have no experience with anything but Mag, so take my advice for what its worth.
I'm in the same boat as you, I'd like to get my parents and grandparents a good flashlight. I'm looking at a Surefire G2. At 30 (roughly) bucks a pop I can cover the whole family for around 120 bucks. Plus, they can buy the high output head if they want it brighter.
However, that hinges on what *I* think of Surefire. Just bought a M2 and waiting to get it to see how the Surefire lights perform, but if it meets my expectations the family will probably be getting G2's.

avusblue

Enlightened
Just a word of advice . . . . give gifts that the recipient wants and will use, not what you would want. Usually we are 1000% more enthusiastic about our lights than anyone else in the vicinity, and the quality in a "high-end" light is wasted on the average public.

I would particularly advise against gifting 123-powered lights to a non-enthusiast. Most people won't buy $7 retail batteries when the (1 hour) life expires, and so these fancy lights will quickly go to waste in a kitchen drawer.

From my direct experience, "non-enthusiast flashlight users" have been more universally delighted with getting a $6 Dorcy AAA than with any other light. Its small size and clever design just makes it appealing to the mass user.

Your mileage may vary, but just a bit of caution from one who's learned.

Dave

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
G2 is a good suggestion, too.

You know, now that I think about it, I really like the idea of a LED for the minimag. He already likes it now, and if you were to "Borrow" it for a day to replace the innards with a Sammich and then give it back for Christmas, that would be really nice. Or, if he's good with soldering, maybe one of the build-it-yourself kits would be better. .

As for mom, well, moms are tricky. My mom wouldn't carry anything that wouldn't clip to her keys, and after a while I just let her pick what she wanted; she picked an Inova Microlite in Blue, not because she hunts and needs to trace blood or anything, just because she likes blue. Which is fine by me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Does mom spend more time in the car, or does she spend more time out and about with her purse?? If she's always in the car, maybe she'd like something a little more "secure", like a 4D Mag w/Lux conversion. I know at this point I like to have a little bit more in a present than just going out and buying it. .

junior

Enlightened
I second the Dorcy's. I have the Dorcy 2AA and 1AAA and love them. I could use regular alkalines at home and about and put in Lithiums for a bit more power when i hike the cali mountains. Buying 123 lights discourages a lot of people because of the runtime and expense of the batt's.

my .2cents

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cornkid, Nightcutter has 4 models under $50. You said you had $120 to spend. And not all of them look like they are from WWII. Give them a second look. And the engraving is free. A nice touch, especially for a gift.

Specop_007

Newly Enlightened
Thats a good point about the batteries...
I might get my dad a Elektro XM-3. I need something about bullet proof for him, he can occasionally be hard on equipment so its worth it to get the good stuff for him.
Hell, he ran over his coffee thermos with a 20 foot disc. Fortunately, it came out with just scratches. Like I said, its worth it to buy pops durable stuff!

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might consider the Dorcy 2C/8led model for Dad, and the 1AA/3led for Mom. That's going to leave you plenty of cash left over for other gifts. They can get vastly improved light from common AA and C cells, and bang around the light without worry.

Topper

Flashaholic*
Drop in led for Dad the SL 1L for Mom--- if you are up to replacing the 123 cells for the Mom if you keep several 123's around that will not be to bad it might take her a year to burn out the first cell anyway. I had A 1L till my wife got home that afternoon,have not seen it since but get a "used that little light today sure is cute."
If not the 1L then I vote the Dorcy AAA led. Good luck
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I let my sister choose from several coin cell lights and a Streamlight Keymate button cell light.

She glommed onto the Streamlight, and flashes it at me often! It is a cute little bugger!

Better let Mom pick something out. Or try to catch a hint (maybe leave a catalog or two laying around!)

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about one of those Peak AAA lights for mom, and maybe like everyone has suggested, a G2 or TT 2L for dad? Or an Eternalight would make a great gift for either of them as well...

PJ

Enlightened
Streamlight 4AA LED. I bought a dozen last Christmas and gave them out as gifts. They're water resistant, have a clickie on the tail and use AA batteries.

Latest posts