Dorcy AAA or UK 2AAA eLED?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I have both and use both and each have their advantages over the other. For raw brightness and throw the dorcy is the winner, the momentary feature is very useful also. The uke 2AAA eled has its advantages also, waterproofness and ruggedness plus its magnified beam gives a sort of odd but even large version of a #222 bulb light beam but it is noticeably dimmer than the dorcy. The run time of the uke is perhaps 3-4 times as much in the useful light category I think and also I have carried both in my pocket and prefer to edc the uke for a few reasons: I have two pocket knives in my pocket and the dorcy made for a lot more noise, also unless you bend or crimp the threads on the tail cap on the dorcy a little, it sometimes would completely unscrew in your pocket and you would have a 3 piece light while the uke never budges. If the dorcy didn't have a lot of artifacts, bluish blotches etc its beam would win hands down due to its brightness, but at times on a white background the dorcy is a little annoying for that compared to the dimmer uke.
For close up stuff and in pitch dark areas the uke shines, for farther away stuff and some background light the dorcy pushes the uke aside. I find the beam of the uke useful to about ~10-25 feet, with the dorcy useful to perhaps ~20-35 feet or so. I have used the uke's clip on a ballcap also, it is actually useful if you don't mind wearing a cap to use it that way, I have never used the keyring option I find it a little clunky they need a different keyring or one with a swivel on it I think.

I have thought about buying a second eled module and see if I can mod it to overdrive the led more or something.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
there is also reviews and ledmuseum.org on all threee lights, the dorcy AA 3x5mm, dorcy AAA 1x5mm, and uke 2AAA eLED plus a lot of other lights. I find myself keeping my uke in my pocket and when at home grabbing the dorcy AAA if I am close to it due mainly to the fact I can replace the one battery in it a lot easier than the 2 in the UKE version and it hangs better from a lanyard around my neck. my ideal compromise would be the uke 2AAA form factor with a switch tha can do momentary, a larger reflector with perhaps 3 or 4 LEDs and keep the waterproofness of the uke.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
About the waterproofedness of the Dorcy - I think it is more than adequatedly waterproof for things like rain, etc. It will probably leak if submerged for a time, but mine went through an entire wash and wear cycle by accident and kept working. Some water got in, but it dried completely after I let it sit a few days, and it never failed to work at any time wet or drying, so I don't think it's like the Dorcy's AFRAID of water...

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I would say the dorcy would be water resistant, drowning it may not be a good idea where the uke you could probably go scuba diving with it.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gotta say it: the Dorcy AAA maybe one of the very best bang for the buck lights so far. For $6, you get one heck of a light. It's no Arc AAA, but it's brighter and extremely useful, a real performer. I use mine every night to check on the kids and facilitate 3AM feedings of my 3 month old.

cognitivefun

Enlightened
I don't know about the Dorcy but I love the UK product. It is exceptional in its durability and I love the lens! A very, very cool light.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brightguy has the eLeds modules, as far as I can remember. Probably other CPF supporting dealers carry them as well, but Brightguy is the first one that comes to mind...

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I found them awhile back looking for the module but haven't had the funds to put an order in to them yet. At that time nobody had the eled modules and they recently raised their prices some on the AAA series of lights, not the modules though. A word of caution though when I contacted uke wanting to order just the module to replace one in my light they told me it may not fit my light so if you have an older light there is no guaranteee it will fit... The eled module fits my two other incans just fine and the newer module has a different groove pattern than my incans making it easier to grip and turn IMO.

The underdrive it a lot.. I just measured the input to the module and it was between 22-27 depending on battery type.
I saw about 22ma for nimh, and 27ma for alkaline which is underdriving it since it is a boost circuit compared to 120-150ma for the dorcy even though it is only one cell it is driven a lot harder.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
interesting.

there are 2 things that have prevented me from purchasing a bunch of the UK lights.

1. the "moon beam". i wish there were a way to just place a flat lens.

2. low output. a reasonably driven 5mm led should make 25-30 lux without special lenses.

otherwise, i love the form factor and ruggedness of the UK lights.

Bob

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I don't mind the beam pattern but I think it actually makes it dimmer instead of brighter, and I agree they seem to be underdriving the LED too much to be very useful in twilight hours. I think if they were to overdrive the uke eled to about ~30ma input (to the LED,not the module electronics only) it would be a jewel even though runtime would drop. I would settle for half the runtime for twice the useful light output.