Nuwai Q3 question

Kanai

Newly Enlightened
I have an ARC 4+ and love it, I want something brighter but of similar size using a 123 battery. I don't want to spend more than $60 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif. Is the Nuwai Q3 a good choice? Thanks in advance.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
An excellent choice for the money.
Small, bright, and well-built.
There really is no competition in that same price range.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
As GJW says, there's not much else in the price range that competes with it - you're either going to give up spill or size (such as the Inova T3 or X03's, which also use LuxIII LEDs but are 6" in length), or else cost (an Aleph2/1x123 tube will blow it away, but costs $195-205, depending on the driver involved).

Both Advancedmart and ViKi in the B/S/T Lights forum are selling them, and they're about $50 or so for either of them including shipping. If you get a decent one, you won't be disappointed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

snipergus

Newly Enlightened
I've had a Q3 for a few weeks now and I have to agree that this is hard to beat in quality and performance. The price is also very good. I think I heard somewhere that Nuwai is just the middleman as the light is actually made by Quantum Lighting (www.quantumlight.com.hk) in Hong Kong.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
snipergus: Nuwai is NOT a manufacturer - they're apparently a distributor, and if you'll look on the Quantum Lighting site, half the lights that they distribute are apparently by them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif They're just buying and remarking lights from a bunch of Taiwanese and Chinese manufacturers, which explains why the quality and the designs seem to vary so much.

snipergus

Newly Enlightened
Haesslich: sorry for the confusion, by "middleman" I meant "distributor". However are you saying that Quantum is just a distributor because their web site clearly describes 300000 square metres of factory with ISO 9001 approval, CNCs etc. To me this really sounds like they do at least manufacture something.

RonnieBarlow

Enlightened
The Q-III is almost a steal. I love mine, and carry it everyday. The amount of light it puts out is quite impressive. A perfect hotspot with a lot of smooth sidespill. It's fantastic. Perhaps I got lucky with mine, but it's some of the purest, whitest light I've ever seen from a Lux III.

All in all, a great deal for the price. Sure, you can find better quality lights... but not at the Q-III's pricepoint.

Mr_Dead

Newly Enlightened
Hmmm.... I was thinking of taking advantage of the "twofer" offer on these, one for a Christmas present, but... there have been one or two posts about DOAs. Seller made good immediately, apparently, but since it's a gift..

Is it possible to take one out of the packaging and test it briefly without tearing the packaging to shreds?

Thanks...

snipergus

Newly Enlightened
Mr Dead: It's sad but I always keep old packaging and have had a good look at how I got my Q3 out. I do not think you would be able to extract the light without damaging the plastic display packaging as it is heat sealed around all edges.

sylvestor

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know if the lense on the Nuwai III will get scratched or ruined if I keep it in my pocket with keys ?

thanks,

sylvestor.

STEVENT6

Enlightened
The only way to open it with the least amount of damage is to cut the minumum amount plastic along the edges with a sharp knife. Then to repack use some invisible scotch tape where necessary. I've returned many items this way Including many flashlights, never had a hassle with store clerks.

RonnieBarlow

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
sylvestor said:
Does anyone know if the lense on the Nuwai III will get scratched or ruined if I keep it in my pocket with keys ?

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a good chance the lens will get scratched. If there's one thing I don't like about the Q-III, it's the polycarbonate lens. It scratches pretty easily, in my experience.

The good news is that the scratches don't seem to affect the beam quality.

sylvestor

Newly Enlightened
I'm not too concerned with bean quality being a little off. I'm more worried that with too many scratches the output would decrease (ie: the scratches may cause a resistance for light to flow past the lense) ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
snipergus said:
Haesslich: sorry for the confusion, by "middleman" I meant "distributor". However are you saying that Quantum is just a distributor because their web site clearly describes 300000 square metres of factory with ISO 9001 approval, CNCs etc. To me this really sounds like they do at least manufacture something.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you've misunderstood me - I'm saying that half the lights Nuwai sells overseas seem to be Quantum creations. Take a look at the lights on the Quantum site, then compare them to the Eddie Bauer or Cabela or whatever other 'brand' lights there are (RadioShack sells these under their own Nexxtech brand).

Nuwai is the distributor - Quantum is one of the producers who use Nuwai to handle the marketing and the rest.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
sylvestor said:

thanks,

sylvestor.

[/ QUOTE ]

The lens is polycarbonate, so yes, it'll get damaged... but the crenelated edges of the bezel will saw your pocket to pieces first. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Best you keep it in its padded sheath on your belt, or alone in a pocket without keys.

Latest posts