I just got a lazer stik...group buy(maybe)

rycen

Enlightened
No interest? Are we not in the ongoing search of "glow"

Saaby

Flashaholic
They use button cells right?? I'm not a huge fan of button cells...I even pefer 123s over button cells. Maybe I just read something wrong on the site though...

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Also note that their "Green Cell" LR44 alkaline button cells are $2.50 apiece, and the stick needs three of them.
shocked.gif

I bought some LR44 button cells on ebay awhile back for $0.09 apiece. Fills up a Lazer Stik's tummy with yummy batteries for 27¢ instead of $7.50.

P.S.
That website sure chose an odd sound effect for the button roll-over. I identified it as the same sound I recently heard on a Flash animation of a toilet, and that sound could be triggered by jiggling the flusher.
tongue.gif

Don't believe me?
Then go to http://home.earthlink.net/~forrestw/toliet.htm and roll your mouse pointer over the flusher, then go back to http://www.essentialgear.com and slowly roll your mouse over one of the buttons.
blush.gif

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have a way to properly charge them, you can also use the NimH button cells from All Electronics in L.A. ($1.50 for 6 of 'em)

Saaby

Flashaholic
Originally posted by mr.glow:
If you have a way to properly charge them, you can also use the NimH button cells from All Electronics in L.A. ($1.50 for 6 of 'em)
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You can buy NiMh button cells? How do you charge them...Maha 777 or similar?

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Saaby:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by mr.glow:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You can buy NiMh button cells? How do you charge them...Maha 777 or similar?</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">There are two considerations:
1. you would need to disassemble the power-pak/strip those cell come in.
2. If you get that far, I recommend using a solar charger under an incandescent table lamp, and check (with a DMM) for a charge current of about 10mA.

Empath

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Saaby:
NiMh button cells? How do you charge them...Maha 777 or similar?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I don't know if they are still available; I haven't checked lately. Quite some time back, in drug stores and such in the hearing aid battery departments, they use to sell what the called hearing aid battery rejuvenators. They were suppose to rejuvenate hearing aid batteries, or rechargeable NiCd button cells. They were a plastic cylinder similar to the plastic box 35mm film comes in. The cap had a recess in it to hold a button cell. A "C" size battery fit into the cylinder, and you closed the lid and let it sit for a specified period of time. The "C" cell would charge up or rejuvenate the button cell. I suppose NiMH cells would work too.

I have (somewhere) a credit card sized FM radio that Radio Shack use to sell. It had built into it a couple of NiCd button cell. The charger that came with it simply held a couple of AA cells. It had a jack that plugged into the radio and charged up the cells. It worked quite well, and you could get several chargings from a set of AA cells. I don't know if mine still works, since I haven't used it in ages. The cells were not intended to be user replaceable.

I find non-user-replaceable rechargeable cells in appliances very irritating.
frown.gif

rycen

Enlightened
The Green Cells are really just 3 lr44 banded together into one 4.5 volt battery.