What's best use for an RXOJ?

DaveT

Enlightened
What\'s best use for an RXOJ?

I jumped when LED Supply offered their RXOJs a couple weeks ago...but now that I've got it, I'm wondering how best to utilize it. I've picked a couple people's brains, but I'm still not sold on a "best use" formula.
So, to those who bought these - how will you use them?
First, how hard are people planning to run them - Madmax WO, BB/DB 500, higher, lower?
And what platform? I'm not interested in carrying a Minimag host right now - are people planning this to power an Arc host, a Firefly in an Aleph, what?
Thanks guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Dave

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: What\'s best use for an RXOJ?

The BEST use is to sell it to me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Seriously. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I can use it to replace the greenie in the Arc LS in my emergency bag. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Hehehe....

Okay, I don't think you want to go over WO on that. If you were going that high, I think a LuxIII would be more efficient and will not degrade as fast. The beauty of this 1 watter, as I understand it, is the the light output and efficiency when driven at spec. If you have an Arc that you're not boosting, this would be good. Other than that, the Minimag is probably the fav host for this thing.

I eagerly await the experts who will undoubtedly correct everything I just said. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast

The great thing about the WO color bin is that when it is underdriven, it will tend to stay slightly blue, and shift slightly yellow, a few nm as you overdrive it.

A great use is a variable power light. If you compare the limited actual on-time to the real capabilities of the LED, many people would just drive it up to 500 - 700 ma and not worry too much about it.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

Dave, if you can follow my logic, an R bin 1W is practically a T bin Lux III if driven at 700mA. What I'm saying is that it's a nice 1W. If you got it for under $10 or so it was a steel.

What I would do with it is drive it to about 500mA in a small light. Take your pick. A NexGen500 in a sandwiche for a mini mag would make a nice light.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic

Low Vf and High Flux would make this a good choice for a physically small light with limited battery power.

The low Vf should mean less heat generated so a smaller light can be used without overheating. The high Flux means you'll get good output even if somewhat underdriven.

Good score!

Daniel