LS side emitter?

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone heard anything new about these? I was looking at the pic`s in the new Arc thread and see what looks like something black in the center of the lens. Anyone know what a side emitter will look like?

Ken

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thread, the last picture, in the lower right is a 5W side emitter ("infinity"). 90% of the light exits from the side and is ideal for collimated situations.

Peter Gransee

Steve-at-Springboard

Newly Enlightened
Peter: the side-emitters are also excellent for side visibility (as you'd expect). I used a red and a green one to make a prototype beacon (status) light for our CNC machines and they worked great. We currently (pun intended) use six red and six green 5mm LEDs arranged in a star configuration. With the Luxeons, the beacon light is much smaller diameter, shorter and about twice as bright. Unfortunately, the current light works fine and since the Luxeons come out to about the same cost, there's no reason to switch at this time except for the 'cool' factor.

However, it did raise awareness of high-power LEDs at the company and I now have a 5W Luxeon 'work light' in the prototype phase.