Fraen Low Profile Tri-lens

lightscience

Newly Enlightened
A yellow delivery truck just dropped a small package on my door containing a Fraen low profile tri-lens. I was told that this is one of only a few prototypes made and that the production version will hit the market in Jan 05.

lpTi-lens1.jpg

I cannot wait to fire this small baby up with three Luxeons.....maybe Luxeon III's.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

lightscience

Newly Enlightened
I was also told the production pcs will have a holder similar to the standard tri-lens. This should make them very usable for flashlights

idleprocess

Flashaholic
That's... disgustingly small.

If only some enterprising reflector manufacturer would do something like that with reflectors.

I'd like to see dual and triple reflectors.

lightscience

Newly Enlightened
It is so small that I was unable to use Luxeon III stars. Looks like I will have to cut them with a saw tonight in order to get them closer together.

Fraen_Corp

Newly Enlightened
Let me start by saying that "Light Science" is correct to say Fraen will be releasing a line of tri-lenses based on the very successful Fraen FLP series of optics. The outer diameter is MR-11 sized, to complement the current larger MR-16 sized FT3-series of tri-lenses.
Specifically in response to "Idleprocess": Technically, our optics ARE reflectors (TIR, where R = Reflector). As we are always very interested in customer feedback, we are interested to know what about this product is "disgustingly small" , and why would it not be disgustingly small if it were a coated reflector rather than a TIR reflector.
Input welcomed.
Regards,
Fraen Corp.

Illuminated

Enlightened
Welcome Fraen Corp-

I think this new product is very interesting. I am disgusted with the low-voltage MR11C incan lamps I have used thus far - and I think this MR11-sized optic might just be the ticket for a 3 x LUX arrangement.

Are there any plans for incorporating a combination of optics in this form factor (such as to provide both good throw as well as good peripheral illumination)? This is what would be needed for a bicycle light, for example.

Again - welcome to CPF

John

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Fraen_Corp,

First, welcome to the forum!!! I think idleprocess's "disgustingly small" comment was intended as a compliment! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Many of us are continuously seeking smaller/brighter photon management solutions.

Larry

lightscience

Newly Enlightened
The flp tri-lens prototype I received has two narrow and one medium beam. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif
If you look closely at the photo you can see the micro-lens pattern on the optic in the upper right position.

Mark

robstarr-lite

Newly Enlightened
yes, welcome FRAEN-CORP. i have outright enjoyed
using your products for the past 2 years – thanks!…

looking forward to your new designs!

rob