The best LED type for a new cell phone design.

Blue_Skies

Newly Enlightened
OK LED flashlight/gadget geeks here's the deal. My brother is a designer for one of the largest cell phone manufacturers and I've been hounding him to incorporate some type of functional LED flashlight into one of his phones. My question is, what would be the best LED for this purpose? 1 or 3 watt luxeon? The 2 most important factors should be size and battery life. Thanks everyone.

lasercrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I watt Led would be better for battery life but a 3 watt would be brighter with greatly reduced battery life.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
For emergency use, or poking around a purse or getting keys into a lock you might not want Luxeons at all. Basically, have a photon built into the cell phone. That would give plenty of light for most stuff and be easy on battery life.

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Luxeons would drain too much power. I concur with the Photon suggestion, using 5mm LEDs.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
gadget_lover said:
You might keep in mind that a Lux I or Lux III driven at 100ma puts out a lot of light and does not need heat sinking.

Daniel

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I'm also thinking that using a Luxeon would drive production costs up compared to a 5mm led. Don't get me wrong, a Luxeon would be really cool. But to me, if it can't be used to it's potential .... why waste a perfectly good Luxeon in a cell phone? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumileds makes a "Luxeon Flash" which is basicly a Lux III in a low-profile package. It's rated for 1000ma (IIRC) but that's intended for VERY short-term use as a camera flash. You could probably make it double as a low-power task light by driving it at around 100ma or so. That would be more than enough light to be useful for finding keyholes, etc and not too much of a drain on the battery.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Motorola already has an LED flashlight in their 710 (?). A buddy of mine has one. I think it's a 3mm LED, but I could be wrong. I think it also uses it for the flash.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
It takes a lot of light to make a digital camera work, more than most people actually appreciate. That is the reason for the Luxeon based new flash setup. The original version looked like a "no dome" LED.

If the designer actually wants people to use the camera "flash", and have a small light, a Luxeon flash type is optimal. Price, come on, I am sure someone buying millions of Luxeons can get a better price than our group buys.

Brlux

Enlightened
Personally I would prefer a light with a little bit of throw to it, not a bare Luxeon. Puting an optic on a Luxeon would make it to big and probably would make for a wierd setup inside the flashlight. I second one or two quality Nichia 5mm led's.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
It's a camera flash first and low-output utility light second.

The Luxeon flash is compatible with all automated SMD assembly techniques, so that's a feather in its cap.

It's also tiny.

PhantomZ

Enlightened
i'm using a nokia 5140 and it has a built in LED flashlight. not sure what kind of LED its using but i love this phone. you have a phone when you need to make a call and you have a light with you when you need to find something you dropped in the car at night or when you need to sneak out of the house without having to turn on the lights and wake your parents up fumbling around making noise trying to find\open the door.