Dorsey replacing Maglight?

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is Dorsey replacing Maglight as the next "happening" flashlight company?

Let me explain, 20 years ago Maglight was at the top of the heap. Considering that all they made was flashlights their name recognition was outstanding.

Skip forward to now and all that I ever hear anymore is "Dorsey" this, Dorsey that. Everybody here seems to talk about them (even though I don't own any)

A year ago I predicted that if Maglight doesn't come up with an LED light, it will be the beginning of the end for them.

So I have a question for everyone,

Is Dorsey the company that will nail Maglights coffin shut?

GregR

junior

Enlightened
I was looking for a light to replace my mini-mag and guess what i decided on? I decided to make the Dorcy 2AA the light to replace my mini-mag. I do have a SFG2, but that is the companion for my Glock.

So, in a nut shell i would say yes.... its not happening yet, but it will in the future.

STEVENT6

Enlightened
I have 4 mag lights 1aaa, 2aa, 3d, and 4d. I bought them before I knew about this site. The 1aaa to me is worthless because of its output. The 2aa I would still say is compact & ok. The 3d and 4d were bought as backup weapons mainly to keep in a car. The 3d bought after the 4d because it is shorter. They are not waterproof and I can't say anything bad about the quality. Looking at the charts at flashlight reviews they still compete in brightness (thought not for their size). I heard some people say their good work lights. The bigger lights are probably useful to security guards, bouncers, etc. I don't see police carrying them much anymore. I guess a lot of people still buy them wanting clubs, or they thought bigger is brighter as I thought at one time.

Today, knowing what I know now maybe a 1aaa and one club, maybe a 3 or 4 c because its more compact.

Look at the competition they have, not to mention cheap imported lights, and ask the qustion what have they done lately. I hear too much about American companies going out of business.

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
They both are real similar. Both have a limited product line and both are not exactly on the cutting edge of technology...

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think as a group flashlights are gaining more public recognition for being important. This would be due to the several hurricanes Florida has had, 911, etc, etc. Seems more and more people are getting together "preparedness" kits for their vehicles, homes and offices and flashlights are a big part of that.

Also, I think the various players in the industry are finally catching up to Mag in name recognition, perception of quality and bulb and LED options available. Doesn't hurt that we see more variety in stores besides just Mag's either.

This is all good stuff for us, as prices come down and better lights are produced. It would not surprise me if Mag came out with an LED version and maybe even LED drop-in modules for their existing lines.

flashlite

Enlightened
Does Maglite own the patent on a focusable flashlight? I see a few others out there doing it but not as many as I would expect. Mag's focusable beam is a great feature even though the beam quality stinks. If they own that patent, then they'll probably always be one of the top brands.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe that they have a patent on the cam-action focusing, which allows you to change the focus with fewer turns of the head. I consider variable focus to be overrated, since the wide-angle beam tends to have dark holes and artifacts.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
The truth is that among the flashlights commonly available in stores, Mags are one of the few brands that aren't junk. They will have a commanding place in the market so long as that is true. They could easily get complacent and lose ground, however. You can already buy keychain lights in stores that are way better than the Solitaire--such as the Photon II.

On the other hand, Mag has enough money that they could start putting out LED lights if they want to. The path of lowest risk would probably be to offer LED drop-ins for their existing incandescent lights.

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are too many people out there who like the fact that the bigger mags double as a weapon. It's cheap and you can crush a mans skull open with it. I've heard that plenty of times.

Also the Mini-mag makes a perfect kubaton. Smooth, thin, straight and short. Hardly any small lights out there fit the optimal kubaton structure.

When I get my Elektrolumens Tri-Star Phazer, it will be my skull crusher/face remover for my car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe as the next 'Happening' flashlight company, but not as the 'The Flashlight Company'. I just don't think that your average consumer cares enough about a flashlight purchase to seriously look beyond Mag. It has a good reputation, it's reliable, produces adequate light and is cheap enough that people really don't need to look much further. Plus they are always available. Give the masses a reason to look more closely at a flashlight (like maybe power use quotas or something) purchase and Mag might have a reason to worry.

For flashlight 'enthusiasts' however, sure why not? I mean dorcy offers alot of cool stuff that's reasonably priced. When I go for a dorcy 'fix' I get a good buzz for the buck and they are innovative and offer new products frequently. I buy them just to have. Mags I only buy to mod.