Kmart fluorescent lantern

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been looking at an interesting fluorescent lantern in my local Kmart. It has two 9 watt u-tubes and takes 8 D cells. It comes with a 13 foot cord that allows it to be powered from a cigarette lighter socket. It also has a remote control. It will run on one or two tubes. There is no mention of runtime.

It sells for $23 and has the "Northwest Territories" brand. It looks like a Rayovac to my untrained eye.

Anyone familiar with this one?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Mostly the Utubes and batteries determine the run time It could be a clone of the rayovac, there twin tube version doesn't have a remote nor lighter adapter function, but their single tube has a remote (still no car adapter tho). I will see if my local kmart has any of them I got my eye on one of these myself in the future.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I finally remembered to drop by Kmart and I took one of those NW lanterns labeled 5 in 1 out of the box and looked it over, read the manual that comes with it but didn't take the remote out of the sealed bag or look at it.

In my opinion It is either made by the same company that makes the rayovac lantern or a nearly exact copy of parts and quality. It has the same halo on top, handle and essentially identical battery holder/base with slight difference due to the NW one has a car adapter plugin.
The cost was about 24.XX I think and it has a 5 position switch identical in look and *feel* to the rayovac 2 position switch. Settings are OFF,1tube,2tubes,Nitelite,remote
The remote looks to be a screw in round bulb I think it was approx .15amps, I think this is an easy candidate for LED conversion to multiple 5mm or luxeon. It takes 8D cells and the bottom of it has the same screw in base and the manual the same diagram of 8 cells in a circle around the middle.

Without setting the two side by side I would say they are most likely identical enough except extra features and color green vs black (rayovac).

After looking at this I would buy it instead of the rayovac one for the same price. The remote takes an A23 battery and I have no idea if it is infrared or RC or not. I am guessing RC because I saw no instructions about aiming it nor a sensor panel on it. come to think of it... perhaps you could even mod the remote for a 5mm LED... perhaps even make it blink also so you an find it... just an idea.

Latest posts