Latest KL1 @ 9v?

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know if the new style KL1 can handle a 9v power source (3x123, etc)? I believe the older style could...

Jon

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: KL1 Gen2 @ 9v?

"Gen2" was actually a non-scalloped flat bezel with low dome Lux1.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm guessing you're talking about the new 4th generation KL1 that looks like a larger KL4, with TIR optic and Lux3. Yes, it can. Milkyspit was kind enough to test on 3xCR123 for us. I've tested them on 2 x rechargeable 123s, peak voltage of 8.4V.

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes, I meant the latest (Gen4?) version of the KL1 - thanks for correcting me. I have adjusted the subject accordingly.

Thanks for your help! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jon

jbev

Newly Enlightened

That's good to know. I wasn't willing to make mine into a martyr in the process of finding out. Out of curiosity, what is the new regulator: Boost, buck, or both?

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

StoneDog: no problem, glad to be of help.

jbev: buck and boost, just like the older KL1s. However, I did notice that it is substantially brighter on 2 cells or R123s than a single CR123A cell. This was corroborated by another CPFer who said as much as 25%. I suspect it draws more current in buck mode, because buck mode means that it has more to work with. Quite a smart thing to do, actually. Buck mode would essentially mean lithium ion (4.2V peak), or 2xCR123, which obviously have more energy than 1xCR123.

jbev

Newly Enlightened

Sounds like a single R123 would be ideal then.

JanCPF

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
KevinL said:
I did runtimes for both 1 and 2 R123s in 3rd/4th gen KL1s. Some of my notes can be found here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great info here! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Thanks Kevin. Can't wait for that KL1 to arrive. I also ordered a JSB-123 Li-Ion set to feed it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Jan

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

Glad you found it useful /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif JSB's R123s are great stuff. Can't imagine life without them especially for those of us who have to fly our CR123s in from overseas.

As you can probably guess from the hard numbers, they did boost the drive current at a slight cost of runtime.