Who made old Boeing inspection flashlight?

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to work at Boeing (1979-1981) and kept an old 2D flashlight that the inspectors used. I don't have a camera so I can't take a picture of it.

Basically, it has black lens retainer cap and black tailcap. The body is yellow and says "The Boeing Company" on the side of it and is MSHA approved, with a slide on/off switch.

The reflector is chrome plated brass (it is metal), medium orange peel coating, metal bulb housing, and a plastic lens.

However, it has a great beam, it's fairly tight focus, but no weird artifacts. I little smaller hotspot and less side spill than a Mag using the same bulb and battery configuration. Currently I have a PR20 (7 cell) bulb using the fivemega un-regulated 8AA to 2D adapter using plain old AA alkalines. I have also used the KPR112 with two of Elektrolumens 3AA to 1D adapters. Both are really quite nice, in fact it's really nice.

Does anyone know who manufactured this light and if it is still produced and/or used? Maybe some Washington State Boeing guys might know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'm thinking it's an old Fulton Industries light, but it has no manufacturer markings on it.

Any help.....anyone?

capnal

Enlightened
Fulton would be a good guess. I saw one new in the box on Ebay exactly like you are describing recently. (or was it TWA?)

Anyway, I was going to actually suggest it was a Koehler Bright Star. KBS Industrial They have been doing rugged industrial lights for a long time and often had company names put on them.

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a light similar to what you describe, although I think it might be a 3D-er. It's marked as being from Los Angeles Dept of Water and Power or somesuch. Anyway, on the tailcap its marked Koehler.

RussH

Enlightened
I've got an MSHA flashlight by Brightstar (now Koeler) and another by Fulton, IIRC. One of them is old enough to be made of bakelite (the brown & red swirl of the early 50's bakelite, at that).

Listed flashlights (usually tested for methane) have been around for a long time. On mine, even a mild mod such as using alkaline batteries voids the listing since they specifically call for carbon-zinc batteries. Is this true of the newer ones? Mine have been changed over to run on 6 or 8 AAS but can be changed back if required.

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
_mike_ said:
Basically, it has black lens retainer cap and black tailcap. The body is yellow...

[/ QUOTE ]

I just realized there's a light like you describe, and like the one I have, in the Eternalights banner ad. It's the yellow one on the left when the ad first starts.