UKE 2L w/ eLED lamp or Inova X5?

FNG

Enlightened
Looking for something that uses 123 batteries to keep in the car. I used to have a X5T so I think I remember how bright it was but how is the eLED on 2x123 batteries? I did a search and some people mentioned it got about 8 hours runtime. Doesnt have to be bright (ill have a SL TL-3 Xenon also) but the brighter the better. Anything else any of you would get for under $40? I dont know much about the T2...searching right now.

rycen

Enlightened
They both to me put out about the same light.I got 3.5 hours out fo a set "dead" batts with the e led.

FNG

Enlightened
Yeah, im leaning towards the X5 in black and have the 2L in the glovebox.

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
the 2l with the eled is nice.
you should hve gotten the x5t with ha3 from countycomm before they ran out.

FNG

Enlightened
The X5 is already tough as it is. I wasnt going to pay much more for it. But right now, im thinking about getting a Inova T2. The 5 hour regulated runtime and brightness fits the bill.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
The UKE 2L form factor is really nice and compact, just basic no frills and tough. However, if you're leaving it in the car under hot conditions (Milky Way?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif), then the rubber bezel might not make it such a desirable. While it may not deteriorate straightaway, but over time you might that the rubber will be ruined... Else if its mostly cold conditions it should be fine, I think. For the same reason (its HOT here in M'sia!!), I keep a SL TT2L in my glove box instead of the UKE 2L.
Also, you may wanna look at the Tektite Splashlite Led, for $20 or so, its got a 6-8 hrs runtime (IIRC) running 1x123.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I don't think the rubber on UK lights is poor quality, it should stand up to heat probably hotter than enough to melt the plastic case and zap the batteries within I would think.
UK lights having chemical and etc ratings use the same materials in them and I would think they wouldn't use cheap rubber to get laboratory rated.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I didn't mean to say that its of poor quality, I have a UKE 2L myself, and i think its very well made. Its just that with any rubber products/parts, leave it in the heat or even in a car where it gets even hotter, and it'll definitely deteriorate over long periods of time.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
yea perhaps over a decade or so... I have had rubber parts under the hood of a car at extremely hot temperatures AND pressure last over 20 years, and the car was left in the sun most of that time too. I would think UV may be worse on plastic lights than heat but that is just my opinion.

Mr_Dead

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
FNG said:Anything else any of you would get for under $40?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah...

I have the X5 (with HA III), the UK eLED 4AA, and the SL TT2L. Now that I have an SF L4 for EDC, there's no question in my mind that the TT2L is the one that's going in to the glove compartment. The fact that it's just a bit heavy and bulky for EDC is irrelevant for this use, the LED mode is a backup for the bulb, and you can throw a couple of bulbs in there with it and not worry about whether you'll have them when you need them, as you would with EDC. IMHO, it's versatility makes it a real bargain at $30.

The UK is a fine light, but it's not terribly bright, and the main virtues of that version- shock resistance, water resistance, compactness and light weight (while always good) seem like they'd be mostly irrelevant in this application.

So, I'd second the recommendation for the Streamlight Twin Task 2L.

Scott@Tektite

Newly Enlightened
FYI- The "rubber" on UK lights isn't; rubber, that is. It is a TPE (Thermoplastic elastomer), and will stand up to age as well as any other plastic. It does have a lower heat and abrasion tolerance than, say, ABS, but the chemical components are similar. We use the same in our lens covers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gif

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
It sounds like it should withstand heat just about as well as the plastics that is in auto interiors then. I figure UV is probably more of a problem with plastic flashlight parts over time as heat would be, with cheaper throwaway type lights being the worse victims and more robust lights made with ABS and other more expensive plastics being more resilient.

SolarPowered

Newly Enlightened
My thinking is that the new Streamlight LED Task Light 2L is the way to go for a "keep in the car" light. Everything that's already been said about the Twin Task 2L applies, plus it uses a Luxeon instead of an incandescent bulb, so it should be much more reliable. It has two levels, 80 lumens and 20 lumens, with runtimes to match.

It is a little over that stated price range. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gif

The Big Brown Truck of Happiness is supposed to be bringing one to me today. If I get a chance, I'll check back with my impressions.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I dont have much of a selection of lights yet in my truck but my advice is to have lights for your use and at least one extra light that could be given/loaned to someone else that doesn't read CPF and stock up their vehicle for such occasions of showing their knowledge of enLIGHTenment.... even a cheap 2D light with heavy duty batteries as a giveaway light people would love you for instead of leaving them in the dark when you go on your way with your *collection*.

cognitivefun

Enlightened
the Twintask light would be great also! BUT...can it take lithium AA batteries? If it can't, it may not work a year or so from now when it's been sitting there in your car, in the hot summer and the cold winter, leaking and so forth.

SolarPowered

Newly Enlightened
The TwinTask 2L and the TaskLight LED 2L we've been talking about both take CR123 lithium batteries.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Lynx_Arc said:
I dont have much of a selection of lights yet in my truck but my advice is to have lights for your use and at least one extra light that could be given/loaned to someone else that doesn't read CPF and stock up their vehicle for such occasions of showing their knowledge of enLIGHTenment.... even a cheap 2D light with heavy duty batteries as a giveaway light people would love you for instead of leaving them in the dark when you go on your way with your *collection*.

[/ QUOTE ]
Good point there, Lynx... I have a TT 2L in the glove box, and a Mag3D for 'just in case' and a loaner light, but didn't really think of a cheap 'give away' light for those situations... thanks!!

Scott, thanks for the post! I have a couple of el-cheapo lights that have the rubber bezel, and they've sorta 'smoothened out' over the last couple years, so I was afraid that the UKE 2L was gonna do the same. At least I feel more assured of the robustness of my 2L and the Tektite range of lights now...

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Personally I like my arcwhite for a car as the flourescent is useful for a flood but it is too expensive to leave there, my dad had his truck broken in and his arcwhite stolen, I found a doublebright on closeout at lowes for 9.24 and replaced it but the overdriven single LED doesn't hold a candle to the pr2 bulb of the arcwhite. I would like to see an CCFL with a 3 watt luxeon in it the best of both worlds.
maybe even run it off of 123s... perhaps.