New LED light from Stanley tools

greenLED

Flashaholic
Check this out!

Has anyone seen this light yet? The image is not too good, but it seems like it has 6 Lux in it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif Then again, if it works with only 3 AA bats, it makes me think that these may be regular 5mm LEDs.

What caught my attention is that it can work with 3, 6, or 9 AA batts.

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, from what I gather, it seems it can use 3,6, or 9 AAs in parallel. I.e. There are three tubes in the flashlight. Fill up one to three tubes with AAs. So, that give us 4.5Volts out. So, six Luxeons? Could it be six Lux I's? Hm, that would be at about six watts. So the answer is, not on your life. Those are not Luxeons but standard high brightness LEDs. Since it is plastic it wouldn't even be a good host. But still an interesting light.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd guess those are regular 5mm LEDs. Looks like an interesting light. Pretty funky how you can feed the light with multiples of 3AA batts.

"Can be used with 3, 6 or 9 AA size batteries depending on usage requirements "

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I am guessing this light has 6x5mm LEDs and has 3 battery carriers that are series 4.5v somehow that can be stacked to work in parallel or left empty as spacers.

Ratso

Enlightened
Copied from website:

Features and Benefits

* Six bright-white, solid state LED bulbs for extended run-time capacity and long life
* Anodized aluminum space frame construction for durability
* Graphite ABS composite case
* Shatter-resistant polycarbonate lens with impact resistant rubber ends
* A low-power indicator light with electronic circuitry helps the user know when the batteries need to be replaced
* A four position switch to control the amount of light generated: High/Medium/Low and Off
* The Flashlight allows you to pre-select the amount of run-time required.
* Can be used with 3, 6 or 9 AA size batteries depending on usage requirements
* Weight with 9 batteries is 1.01 lbs.

This is a Stanley Preview

There are probably three separate tubes in the light, which take 3 AAA's stacked up. Much like the Energizer Double Barrel lights, which ran two separate tubes. You can fill up only one tube but it will reduce runtime. The light seems very interesting. Adjustable brightness level and a battery life indicator. Maybe it is regulated also.

I don't like the idea of 3x3 AAA's in parallel, though. I would much rather just have 3 C Cells.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
It says AA's and I bet they are in series and the series groups of 3 are in parallel if you use more than 3 of them at a time. I will wait for a price on it, unless for some strange reason they put luxeons in it I am not impressed with a 6x5mm LED light that can use 9 AA's, that is kinda silly IMO.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Someone called? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It looks nice and rugged and all, but for a light that size, I think it could do better with a Luxeon or 2 in there... Great concept though, I'd say. I think the main idea was more for runtime than brightness. Any idea of the pricing, anyone?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
My guess is it costs considerably more than a uke4AA eled which will make it a gimmick light IMO.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting light, it is good if you want to run it
with 3, 6 or 9 AA size batteries, If it is meant to be designed for the tradesman D or C Cells would be a better option.

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
aa alkaline batteries have lower internal resistance
than c or d cells.
It might be a good flashlight to mod with some of those high output 100 ma 5 mm led's

JJHitt

Enlightened
I'd like to see some runtime figures.
With it on "Low" and loaded with 9 AAs, it might be up in the hundreds of hours. Which would make it a great light for extended power outages.

steve_vance

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
greenLED said:
Check this out!

Has anyone seen this light yet? The image is not too good, but it seems like it has 6 Lux in it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif Then again, if it works with only 3 AA bats, it makes me think that these may be regular 5mm LEDs.

What caught my attention is that it can work with 3, 6, or 9 AA batts.

[/ QUOTE ]

they are 5mm LEDs

Free

Enlightened
Couldn't the aluminum frame be tied to a heat sink somehow, so that this can be modded to house 3-6 Luxeons?

SKYWLKR

Enlightened
I'm worried about the extra resistance drop due to serial, izng the Batteries.

That will effectively cut the battery internal resistance and up the mAh output capabilities over 3 times as much.maybe some popped LED's sooner running it off 9 Batteries.

I wonder if it resistored or electronic. So it does have a staged switch? I saw the thumbnail in popular science and came here to check it out.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I am sure it is resistored and most likely each set of 3 batteries has a seperate resistor(s). I figure at most running off of 9 batteries will only make it slightly brighter by possibly overdriving it a little more. The idea is *cute* but would be better suited for high power luxeons than 5mm LEDs. They would have been better off figuring out how to use either 3AAs or 3C cells instead as I think few people would continue to use the 6 or 9 cell function after they realize the run time off of just 3 cells is adequate while having to figure out when 3 cells goes bad vs 6 or 9 is easier for lazy people. I could see a problem of people perhaps instead of replacing all cells when it goes dim, just adding 3 more cells of a different type even (people don't think). This could lead to possibly cell leakage if there is a mixture of types perhaps.