Streamlight's lens durability question, HELP!!!

Freedom1955

Enlightened
Streamlight\'s lens durability question, HELP!!!

I have just begun purchasing what I consider quality Flashlights. One of my purchases is a Streamlight 2L Led Luxeon. I just got it a couple days ago. Well I've got several other flashlights that you can see in my signature lines. I've never had and or noticed a problem with any of there lenses while I cleaned them. The way I clean them is with our lens cleaning kit we get with our prescription glasses. It consists of a little spray bottle of a cleaning solution and some kind of a special cloth. Tonight I tried cleaning the lens of 3 of my flashlights (they get dusty) the 2L led Luxeon, Legend LX and my Nuwai QIII. My cleaning procedure is as followed. Turn the flashlight on so I can see the dust on the lenses then I quickly spray a little solution on the lens and wipe it clean with the special cloth.
First I clean the lens of the the Nuwai QIII, when I get done the lens looks perfectly clean. Now I do the same to the Legend LX, same thing it looks really good. Now I clean the Streamlight's lens, please be aware that I am being very careful and very gentle with what I consider an important part of my equipment. I wipe the lens of the streamlight gingery and low and behold it's got some scratches on the lens that were not there before /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif I thought how did I do that? I grabbed the Legend (a $20 dollar light) do the same procedure no scratches. I take the Sreamlight and do the same to it's lens again MORE SCRATCHES! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif Now I'm freaking out, I just paid good money on a Streamlight and the lens scratches very easily. Now I'm mad. I've got inexpensive flashlight's that the lenses don't scratch and my best (so I think) flashlight the lens scratches like it's made out of some kind of cheap plastic.
I really like this light because it's an Led and it's got a high-low setting.
I am considering sending it back. I'm not sure if I can because this may be normal.
I should ask everybody, will these scratches effect the visible light output?

I am asking for any and all opinions on my post. I realize I am very particular and this may be nothing to worry about.

Thanks,

Mark

Northernflame

Newly Enlightened
Re: Streamlight\'s lens durability question, HELP!!!

This is quite easy to answer.

Never use harsh or supositly non-harsh chemicals on cleaning plastics.

The lenses on most good flashlights are made from polycabonate.

The is the same material use in CD's and DVD's and you know just how easy it is to dull or scratch a CD/DVD.

I am aware of other people that used the same so called special eye glasses cleaning solution... Bad idea.

The best way to clean polycabonate is with luke warm water and a tiny drop non-antibacterial dish soap. Rub ever so gently with your (clean)fingers (not your nails!) rince in
luke warm water then pad of (not wipe off) the remaining water.

Lens and mirror cleaner used for slr camera lenses and lasers has "film remover" and "anti foging" in it and is not intended for plastic.

In your case a simple cotton swab can be used with the same water and soap to get into those tight crevaces. So long as your gentle.

I hope this helps.

ttfn.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast

The lenses Streamlight uses in their Stingers are also cheap. The lenses scratch easy and start to distort when you leave the light on for long lengths of time.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

Contact streamlight.com, look for email address for repair. Maybe there is a Streamlight warranty business near you, or send in, and they will replace lens, probably for free. Not sure if your lens is easily removed. If so find a size that fits, and replace with glass. If easily removable, maybe flashlightlens.com has a replacement size.

Bill

Latest posts