it's snowing! first accumulation of the year

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
it\'s snowing! first accumulation of the year

we're looking @ 8 inches and freezing rain.

anyone else get their first snow fall yet?

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Re: it\'s snowing! first accumulation of the year

Uhhh yeah, like a month ago! We're just on the tail end of a storm that was supposed to leave 12" to 20", but actually left 10" to 12"...glad I have two teenage sons, a 10 HP snowblower, and "several" snow shovels of various designs!

Edit: My wife just told me the residents that live up on the hillside about a mile east of me received up to 22" in the last 24 hours.

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast

Snow? Isn't that the stuff they shoot out of the machines up on the mountain? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast

It snowed Oct 31st.

The beautiful thing about Colorado is that the sun burned off all the remaining snow a day and a half later /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

d'mo

Enlightened

We had flurries here this morning at 5:30. More is expected over night.

capnal

Enlightened

Uh. Low 40's last night. Probably around 68 for the high today. Last snow we had was on Valentine's Day, Feb. 14th.

Around here, snow is a rare treat. Everything shuts down and people hord to the grocery stores to stock up on stuff as if there was a blizzard coming. It is really funny actually.

Truth of the matter is, more often than not, our winter precipitation usually comes in the form of freezing rain and creates a ever so nice layer of ice all across the city. So when we get actual snow, it is a special event.

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast

Already had snow in the mountains where I am shortly before Haloween

mccavazos

Enlightened

hahaha...snow. In texas we get snow, maybe once a year, and it only lasts a day or two, if we're lucky. Yesterday it was the coldest its been all year: 56., i think the low was like 41. I wish it would snow more often. any fellow north texans??

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast

Blinded,

I love the snow, so when you use the word "accumulation," I get all warm and fuzzy inside. I'm hoping for at least a few moderate snow storms this winter.

Paul

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator

Since I'm the only one in North Texas that knows how to drive in the frozen stuff, we don't need no stinkin' snow, sleet or freezing rain!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

mccavazos

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Roy said:
Since I'm the only one in North Texas that knows how to drive in the frozen stuff, we don't need no stinkin' snow, sleet or freezing rain!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

so very true, no one know how to drive in the snow here.

capnal

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Roy said:
Since I'm the only one in North Texas that knows how to drive in the frozen stuff...

[/ QUOTE ]

Now, Roy....

flashlight_widow

Enlightened

Firstly, I hate you and your snow! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif It was 85 degrees on Halloween here. Blech.

Secondly, I'm actually pretty good at driving in ice and slush. What cracks me up is how northerners bag on Texans for crying about driving in winter weather - but not realizing that here in TX we don't get lovely soft snowdrifts like up north - we get an inch of solid, slick ice. LOL!

mccavazos

Enlightened

lol, yep. Last year we had 1 & 3/8 inches of ice on our driveway. And i'd like to see one of you notherneers take a Texas summer. Its not a lovely 78 here in august, more like 108.

lymph

Enlightened

Rarely snows, rarely heats up. Pretty boring weather in Seattle.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast

My family actually looks forward to "ACCUMULATIONS". YESSS! I hope I'll have an opportunity to tar and wax the ol' trail breakers real soon. You guys in the south may keep your heat - anything over 75 is too hot.

Jack_Crow

Enlightened

hi all,
You know what I tell my wife when she finds a new and annoying way to 'push my buttons'?

I call her a 'rodent'. Sharp teeth, little claws, beedie eyes, hairless tail, water bottle, exersize wheel, and labatory experiments. All the trappings of rodentdom.

Now you guys are 'rodents' too. Bringing up this unplesant subject.

Among the things I diden't see in Kuwait or Iraq is snow, sleet, or freezing rain. The locals don't miss it either.

So get this. My route back is from this base in Iraq, to Kuwait, then a plane from Kuwait to Frankfort, Frankfort to Bangor, Bangor to El Paso Texas. A few days in Texas, then to Virginia, where it will no doubt be cold and miserable.

But it's home, and after a year here, that's where I belong.

I would rather have snow than another few weeks of work in the desert.

Later kids.
Jack Crow in Iraq

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sigman:
you Alaska-dwellers don't count /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
22" in 24 hours. ahh! i guess i've got that to look forward to. we got 9" here over two days.

Battery Charger:
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

J:
in 2003 we had 4 inches of snow on the ground on Halloween. we had a snowball fight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif i think ours melted too tho. you beat us out for first snowfall this year tho.

d'mo:
did any of yours change to rain? on the 2nd day of the snow it started raining, the wind picked up with 50mph gusts, and everything froze over /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Capn:
i hate when yall shut everything down for a little snow or ice. things don't get cancelled here unless we get @ least 2 feet, or 1 foot with ice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Andrew:
i think the mountains over there are actually one of the snowiest places in the USA.

Cavazos:
56º? we had 56º weather in the middle of the summer, haha. if you wish it would snow, take a vacation up here. snowmobiling is actually one of our biggest money-makers here.
and i would NEVER be able to take a Texas summer. weather that hot is worse than weather this cold!

Paul:
here's another reccomendation for a trip to Maine. the farmer's almanac is predicting weekly blizzards. *yikes*

Roy:
*pins blue ribbon on your shirt*
LOL
i'll be very few Texans have winter or even all-weather tires too, huh?

Flashlight Widow:
the snow and i are sorry!
i'm one of the ppl who are harsh on Southern-folk complaining about winter weather. we have a layer of ice right now that will probly be here until late March. nowhere near an inch thick (yet) tho.
the guy who plows my parking lot does a TERRIBLE job, and he ends up mashing the snow up and compacting it into ice. so in the winter, you actually have to use a shovel with an over-head swing to break thru it, and it gets to be up to 3 inches thick.
ppl get stuck in this parking lot daily in the winter, LOL.

Lymph:
you get rain tho, right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jay:
this first storm has already sparked extensive snowmobiling talk! LOL

Jack:
Bangor is about 3 hour south of me. i'm not sure if there will be snow there, but it will surely be cold. Kuwait to Frankfort is a bad enough climate shift. then coming to Bangor? make sure you've got some warm clothes! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

the day of the storm, we actually broke a record that had been set in 1949 (3.1 inches on the day, and we got 9.1 inches!)

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
BlindedByTheLite said:

. . . Paul: here's another reccomendation for a trip to Maine. the farmer's almanac is predicting weekly blizzards. *yikes* . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, Blinded. Actually I have a friend who has friends there (free lodging). I'm going to talk with her about it. Could be great fun to romp in the drifts.

Come your next big snow storm, if you see a white glow on the southern horizon, you'll know I'm on my way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Paul

Lara

Newly Enlightened

We're expecting the first snow (in the plains) later this week. I'm very much looking forward to it! Isn't it great to take a walk with some lights when it is snowing?