Help me pick a small AA torch.

edison

Enlightened
I'm having trouble deciding on the best LED torch to buy for my sister. It must have white LED(s) and be capable of running on NIMH cells, and cannot be larger than 2xAA. The price and switch configuration are irrelevant.

Preferred Characteristics:
-One AA cell configuration (small)
-Lightweight
-Flood type beam or at least a decent amount of spill
-Keyring attachable
-Durable

She needs a flashlight for walking in the country at night, which is why spill is important. There is a better selection of lights that meet these requirements in the CR123A category, but I will not be sending her batteries every month and she already uses NIMH AA cells in her digicam. If it is not small, she will leave it behind and not have it when it's needed, so it would be nice if it was a 1xAA light, and it needs to be brighter than the CMG/Gerber Ultra series.

The contenders (that I know of) are the Gerber Trio, (will it tolerate NIMH cells?), and the Peak Kilimanjaro 5 LED. I've read the reports here about the lack of spill with the Peaks, which is unfortunate since the Kilimanjaro meets all of the other requirements, even though it is a little long for 1xAA. I know I'm looking for something really specialized but if anyone can help me find alternatives you guys can.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a mini mag with terralux tle-4, 4 white led's with a good ten hour of birght light, and longer usable life on a set of nimh's. with alkalines it's even longer. not the most exotic but nevertheless work very, very well for walking in the woods or serve as an task light. total price about 40ish including shipping(10 for minimag, 20 for the led's assuming 10 dollar total shipping). and the spill is pretty nice.

Nick

P.S., i just went outside and tested it out, i could see at least 35 feet in front of me very clearly.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
The Dorcy 1AA 3LED fits all the criteria, but would be a bit anemic on the NiMH cell. The 2AA 4LED is about twice as bright but it's obviously longer.

I have a Streamlight Jr. Luxeon 2AA which is MUCH brighter, but it's longer at 6.5" and doesn't have the keyring, but just loves NiMH. Its runtime is about 80 to 110 mins. on NiMH. If she doesn't like it, I'd be tempted to buy it from her -- I need a second one for my brother.

cy

Flashaholic
TNC AA would fit the bill nicely. The only problem is availability. TNC has posted will be back in stock soon. beam is aprox. 3-4x brightness of infin unltra.

lots to chose from for 2x AA config, but single AA driving a luxeon. only a few contenders.

edit: another vote for streamJr if going with 2x AA. don't know what others are seeing, but mine is brite and white.

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would suggest the Electorlumens XM-3. They just came in and started shipping. Of course minim*g drop ins are good too. Sandwich shop also.

If you want keychain, then I would suggest smaller then 2 AA. I would get a Arc or PEAK AAA mod from dmo or LED_ASAP. I carry one in my pocket, all the time. You can specify how bright or how long the run time you want. And you can get good flood or better throw. Oh, and you can use rechargable AAAs and even carry an extra AAA if you want.

cy

Flashaholic
here is a size shot for you. TNC AA meets all of your requirements including keyring and HA for durability. $75 - $125 if you can find one. TNC should be getting more in stk soon.

streamlight jr is an excellent light for the $$. has type II color anodizing and will scratch very easily.

steamlight  jr.JPG

cognitivefun

Enlightened
I love the Countycomm "tactical illuminator" for your purpose. It is very bright and fits on a keychain. It has hard annodizing and is built like a tank. It seems to give out much more light than the CMG (Gerber) Infinity Ultra (there is a lens on the "tactical illuminator") and it can be mistreated in any way including dropping it in water, mashing it in a pocket or purse with keys and sharp objects, and it will still work. Great runtime.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
edison said:
I'm having trouble deciding on the best LED torch to buy for my sister. It must have white LED(s) and be capable of running on NIMH cells, and cannot be larger than 2xAA. The price and switch configuration are irrelevant.

Preferred Characteristics:
-One AA cell configuration (small)
-Lightweight
-Flood type beam or at least a decent amount of spill
-Keyring attachable
-Durable

She needs a flashlight for walking in the country at night, which is why spill is important. There is a better selection of lights that meet these requirements in the CR123A category, but I will not be sending her batteries every month and she already uses NIMH AA cells in her digicam. If it is not small, she will leave it behind and not have it when it's needed, so it would be nice if it was a 1xAA light, and it needs to be brighter than the CMG/Gerber Ultra series.

The contenders (that I know of) are the Gerber Trio, (will it tolerate NIMH cells?), and the Peak Kilimanjaro 5 LED. I've read the reports here about the lack of spill with the Peaks, which is unfortunate since the Kilimanjaro meets all of the other requirements, even though it is a little long for 1xAA. I know I'm looking for something really specialized but if anyone can help me find alternatives you guys can.

[/ QUOTE ]
y'know, i don't think many (if any) 1XAA lights are adequate for walking in the country @ night. i'm sure she could make out aright, but i don't think she'd feel most comfortable with something that "dim".

the absolute dimmest i'll personally go when walking or hiking @ night is an Underwater Kinetics 4AA eLED or Petzl Tikka Plus.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
The Dorcy lights are VERY good "Bang for the Buck" lights.

But bright enough and small enough are almost miles apart!

I don't carry a keychain light. I have too many keys! But the biggest I would consider would be ARC AAA size. And ARC AAA just isn't going to be bright enough for that.

The Dorcy 1AA 3LED is not bad at all... and of course the 2AA 4LED is much more! But the wire "hanging" loop on them worries me for keychain use.

You are almost going to have to get something quite custom. Or go to 123 battery.

This said, I carry a Minim*g with a Lambda LUX3 Drop in
in a holster as EDC. A couple hour runtime of really nice light! And I wear an ARC AAA on a Paracord neck loop as a last ditch "save my A$$" light.

Good luck to you sir! Womens can be TOUGH to buy for!!!

Xero

Newly Enlightened
I just got a nexgen 500 sandwich and put it in a minimag, I'm extremely happy with it though I can tell you it's not the cheapest way to go. I wanted to have the ability to customize and mix and match components, so this was the best way to go for me.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some of the Chinese lights which run on 3xAAAs with multiple LEDs are small, cheap, bright, and run well on 3 AAA nimhs. If you like sidespill, you'll want the type which have a lens in front of the LEDs and a reflector BEHIND, as opposed to the kind with recessed LEDs (which have little sidespill).

I don't know if he still has them but these 12 LED models worked well for me. They will run brightly about 2 hours on a set of charged 800 mah nimhs.

Another source is these guys from whom I just got a pair of 19 LED versions. The silver one was quite bright, and the black model was OK, but a little less bright.

One caveat is that quality control on these lights varies, but I haven't found problem yet that couldn't be fixed by tightening the head a little or (at worst) adding a piece of aluminum foil to pad the contact in the head to improve contact. If you have a choice, I would recommending getting a light in silver color, as I think the silver anodizing/plating used is conductive while the black models seem to have insulating anodizing which perhaps increases the resistance inside the light and reduces brightness.

Expect to spend $14 to $15 a light, shipped. There are many Chinese 3xAAA lights out there including luxeons for about $17 shipped ( here) but I don't have any experience with them.

When I take night time walks with my wife, she prefers tyis type of light for size and brightness (I charge them regularly).

Zigzago

Enlightened
The MiniMiniMag (MMM) is a 2AA Minimag cut down to 1AA size. These have been made in small lots by several CPF members (I got mine from Haveblue).
inf-ultra_mmm-sm.jpg

Although 1AA cell won't light the standard bulb, you can drop in one of the MadMax sandwiches or Lamba's new MiniPro (edited) module. These are Luxeon LEDs and are quite bright even on one battery. Here's a beamshot compared to an Infinity Ultra about 2 feet from a wall:

inf-ultra-vs-mmm-b1-sm.jpg

(left: Infinity Ultra, right: MMM with MadMaxLite Lux3T)

I'm using the Fraen optic with the MadMaxLite which is more of a spot beam, but you can defocus the beam for more spill or use an NX05 optic or modify a reflector to fit.

cy

Flashaholic
the Mini mini mag is an excellent option, but TNC AA is aprox. same brightnes, way smaller and lot's tuffer due to HA finish. unless you get the HA MMM.

If your choice is to drive with single AA, sammie you use makes a huge difference. you would need to find a rare MM+ R2H to equal efficience of ARC minia mini sammie, which most has a R2H lux.

using 2x AA with twice voltage to work with. make choice of sammie way less critcal.

The new upcoming TNC AA is support to drive at 350 milliamps VS 200 milliamps of current version. should be lots brighter. I'm running 14500 in mine, turbo charges it at aprox 850 milliamps to lux. VERY BRITE!

TNC AA puts out plenty of light for walks in the dark. aprox. 3-4x infinity ultra above. I'm surprise no one else is recommending it.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
The CMG/Gerber Infinity Ultra certainly gives you value & quality for the price!

For a little more $$ you'll also get good quality & brightness, etc. from the PEAK LED line of torches. Get the "High Powered, Snow" LEDs!

Can't go wrong with either of these! Buy em' both - I don't think you or your sister will regret it!

Raybo

Enlightened
I just recieved a Peak AA 3 led high powered snow and I like it a lot, puts out lots of white light.