fine gage wire -- where do I get

kenny

Newly Enlightened
You know, the local radio shack just dosn't carry anything anymore! -- Juast a bunch of cheap junk! Or is it just me. The smalest spool of wire they carry is 24 gage. When I'm doing electronic stuff and flashlights in particular, I'd like some thing finer 3-4 strand 30 gage? instead of the 7 strand 24 gage. Anybody got a good source for fine wire? -- not Radio Schlack!

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could try using telephone wire. The ones I have here are copper. Excellent for conductivity.

MrMimizu

Enlightened
If you have any extra unneeded ide cables, they are 32 gauge I think. It's best to have one of the rounded cables instead of a ribbon if you want to scavenge though.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
perhaps old earplugs and old junk headphones use very fine wire also. The headphones off of walkmans with the tiny cords not the regular 1/4 plug based ones.

Mark_Paulus

Enlightened
Check your local electronics parts store. The kind where real electricians/repair techs go. Call them up and ask if they carry Wire Wrapping supplies. I think wire wrap wire runs 32 gauge or smaller. They are the ones that carry the weller soldering kits, fine wire, and lot's of other electronics goodies.

jbev

Newly Enlightened
Depending on how long of a piece you need, the old IDE and floppy cables are definitely some small stuff. I have a couple laying around if you want a couple.

LED_ASAP

Enlightened
The really really fine gage wires (magnetic wires, not just the bare copper wires) can be found in the motor coils of those cheap quartz clocks (check out your local dollar store). They are often 0.05mm or thinner.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Got a couple 100-foot spools of 30AWG 7-stranded teflon jacketed. $45 per spool though...

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I usually ue 26 awg, but there are other gauges. I got mine on ebay. The last time I got it, it was like $20 for 200'. The teflon jacketed is the way to go. It just shruggs off hits with the iron and the insulation is a lot thinner than it is on conventional wire. I can usually go one size larger with the teflon coated stuff because the insulation is so thin.