How do Luxeon LEDs work?

SWeitzen

Newly Enlightened
I know how lower-power LEDs work... Do the high-power LEDs do anything intrinsically different to achieve the high power and white light? They definitely have a different spectrum than the original white LEDs that have the bluish tint at the center.

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
it is the same principal, Blue LED die covered in yellow phosphorus. The main difference is the die itself, basically, the layer between the P and N junction is set up in channels, thus having greater surface area, and thus more light. hope this helps.
Jeff

SWeitzen

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
14C said:
They are blue LEDs covered with a phosphor that gives the white color.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, pretty much the same as the older white LEDs. But how does the Luxeon get such a better white? There's no blueish spot in the center; it looks pretty much full-spectrum.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I believe that Lumileds has developed their manufacturing processes to the point that they have far better control over the phosphor application and formulation.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
14C said:
They are blue LEDs covered with a phosphor that gives the white color.

Nakamura

LED Myths

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the links.

I have to take a little issue with the latter author when he refers to the notion of LEDs extending battery life as being a myth. Maybe it depends what he means by "battery life", but it should atleast be pointed out that (properly designed) LED lights will run your batteries down more while still giving off useful light. Of course, this is because an incandescent won't give off visible light at all if the temp. of the filament isn't high enough (even though it continues to drain your batteries).

The rest of the article was useful information, though.

Latest posts