Commercial LED Christmas Lights

Pleconin

Newly Enlightened
Perfect! Thanks.
As for the welcome, I've been around for years. Just around, not a-postin. Now no more ideas for stuff to buy, ok? Christmas is just around the corner. :)

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Weird, Commercial English Christmas lights run on 110 volts while domestic runs on 230 volts?!

Another thing I notice is that "mini lights" in the UK run on 24 volts through a transformer.

You might be able to use a different power supply.

Ratso

Enlightened
If I'm not mistaken, European standard home power is 110VAC, while US home power is 120VAC. The 10V difference is negligible. I think the only difference is the plug. You just need an adapter, not a step up. The lights themselves maybe have a DC adapter.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Domestic power throughout most of Europe is supposed to be 230 volts AC 50Hz. UK used to be 240/Europe 220 and still many places are, but the official tolerances allow this variation so all the local sub-stations and "pole pigs" did not need to be replaced immediately. I believe there are still some places where you may find odd supplies like 100v, and even DC voltages, but thanks (or otherwise?) to the EU, most places are standardised by now, even if there are about a dozen different types of plugs and outlets still in use accross the continent.

Not working directly in the industry, I could not say with certainty what commercial festive lighting runs on. Most of the lights in our town center are standard 240 volt large-bulb types, although they do cheat and use indoor mains powered miniature light sets in some of the trees where they are out of reach.
I suspect the use of 110 volts in some applicatons comes from the use of 110 volt power tools on our building sites. They run from generators or safety isolation step-down transformers to reduce the electric shock risk - 240 volts can and will kill you in an instant! Most of these things are center-tapped to earth/ground so no more than 55 volts would be present should some insulation get damaged and expose a conductor or something inside shorts to the metal casing. In todays unfortunately ever-litiguous times, it wouldn`t suprise me if some countries required the use of 110 volt lights fed from safety transformers. Most domestic outdoor lights are low voltage these days, but running from only 24 to 36 volts AC or DC. Mains powered exterior lighting is limited to most rope-lights and large bulb sets, we do not have mains powered outdoor rated mininature-lights here. Low voltage types tend to be a lot dimmer than mains ones, so it is for that reason I import US lights and run them form 110 volt building site transformers. I welcome the mass introduction of domestic LED lights here, that should do a lot to brighten up our festive season.

In the second PDF, the large framework trees/snowflakes look *fantastic*. Wonder if they will be commercially avaliable at any time? They would be perfect to compliment my blue/white/lots of snowflakes light scheme here at home.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think Japan is the country that uses 100 volts for the line voltage

Now what will happen if I plug a Japanese Light bulb into US 110-120 volts? Will it light up brightly or will it "explode" like the 12 volt RV bulb I pluged in the line ?

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
By the way, anyone know of a commercially avaliable 'Sequential Switcher' unit similar to what Chris M is using on his site?

I would like to have my lights come on like that

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suspect the Japanese 100v bulb would light very brightly at 120 volts and not burn out immediately, but would probably only last a few tens of hours at most. Kind of like running a 6 cell Mag bulb in a 5 cell light, overdriven but not to the point of instant death.

<font color="purple">anyone know of a commercially avaliable 'Sequential Switcher' unit...</font>

I get asked that fairly often and unfortunately so far have not found one. That system of mine is entirely custom made and is a one-off. If I had more time and was able to accept the liability of manufacturing mains power control gear I *could* sell them in a simpler form, but given the cost of setting up, insurance, etc, not to mention the time involved, I`m afraid that idea is a non-starter.

But if anyone does find a commercial equivalent, do let me know as I`m bound to have more than one person ask about it this season.

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
You mean a 5 cell bulb in a 6 cell light right?

By the way, I just remembered my MCM Electronics Catalogue so I poked through it.

This kit might just be something I'm looking for.

Search for Part No: 28-5117 if you want a similar kit with 8 relays instead of 4.

I haven't ordered anything from MCM before. Anyone bought something from this place?

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
<font color="purple">You mean a 5 cell bulb in a 6 cell light right?</font>

Aah, *that`s* where I`ve been going wrong. No wonder I never did get interested in Modding... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Interesting relay kit. If it does what my gear does, it looks like a good solution. Depending on how many lights in your display, you might need to feed them through larger contatctors though with the relays on that board feeding the coils. My setup uses 16 amp rated relays which is about 1700W worth of lights, and it soon adds up if there`s a lot of incandescents out there.

MCM appear to be part of the same group who took over Farnell here in the UK. Don`t see why they shouldn`t be good to deal with, we buy a lot from Farnell at work and it`s usually good.