Silly E2 Question...

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date
D

**DONOTDELETE**

...just got my SureFire E2 from brightguy. Even nicer than I thought it would be. I started reading this board what seems like only a few weeks ago, and have already added five new flashlights since.

Now for the silly question--
My E2 is the hard anondized version, so obviously it can't be scratched. But what about the lens? Can I store the flashlight in my pocket without worrying about the lens? I have lots of keys, knives, coins and stuff in there usually. If the lens does get scratched will the beautiful beam degrade? Or will it not make a difference.

General observations about the E2 for those who don't have one...

1) It's even nicer than I thought it would have been. And smaller. And lighter weight. Surefire's web page says four ounces, but it seems to weigh exactly three ounces with batteries.

2) It took me lots of brainpower to decide on HA vs. gun metal. I still haven't seen a gunmetal one up close (I bought over the internet), but I love the HA coloring. I do have to admit they could have done a better job matching the head color to the body color, but despite that the color is awesome.

3) I'm not yet able to apreciate the built-in clip though. Seems a little strange. I can see why people want a head down carry clip. It seems that the E2 would be better with a Mag-Lite style clip that could be slid on and off. But, that's a minor quibble...

Now if only they'd come out with a yellow Nitrolon version of the E2...same size but weighing at least half an ounce less...then I could justify buying another one!

Bucky

Enlightened
Well since the lens is not pyrex on the E2 (not yet at least), it will scratch. But I have carried my E1 in my pocket for quite a while, occasionally with keys and change, and it has only scratched minimally. That being said, I certainly would not classify the scratching as something that has greatly degraded the beam.

Unless you are unable to live with any scatches whatsoever, carry your E2 in your pocket and feel relatively assured that the resulting minor scatches will really not make you E2 any less bright. If you really cannot stand any scratches, than carry the E2 in some other pocket, but for the most part you should be fine.

Bucky

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can buy a small tube of stuff made specifically to polish out scratches in plastic, from Jewellers suppliers. It costs about $5-$7.

I'll get some and post about it when I've actually tried it - on a ~50 cent Mag-Lite Lexan lens.

lightlover

Byron Walter

Enlightened
Any hard object in your pocket will eventually scratch your baby. The clip will allow the E2 to ride high in your pocket which should be sufficient to protect the lens. Even Pyrex can suffer harm from metal objects. Would be nice to 180 it with the clip...

...and I certainly haven't heard of anyone buying an E2 and not really liking it.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Kogatana...

Where do I get one of these caps? What did yours come from?

Why does SureFire insist that I register just to read their forum? I guess I'm going to just have to break down and register, but I wish they'd let people view anonymously...

-Magic

Brock

Flashaholic
Magic, you can remove the clip if you don't use it with a small allen wrench. I did that on my E1 since the clip was so long.

Yes, it is true Surefire is working on a bezel down clip. I have a prototype for the D2/M2. I was told the clip for the E series is in the works.

dualclipproto.jpg

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Magic:
[QB...........General observations about the E2 for those who don't have one...

1) It's even nicer than I thought it would have been. And smaller. And lighter weight. Surefire's web page says four ounces, but it seems to weigh exactly three ounces with batteries.

...........[/QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Checked my E2 using some accurate scales, and a Mag-Lite 2AA, both with batteries.

E2 = 87 grams = 3.07 oz
Mag 2AA = 107 grams = 3.77oz

lightlover

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't own an E2 (YET), but i can give just a little info on my experiences with lenses. They will be scratched one way or the other - like watch lenses (could never get them to be scratch free). As for pyrex lenses, my LSI spotlight has a 6inch pyrex lens which is said to be unbreakable. I've had it for about a year now at it is completely scratched, but it DOES NOT affect the light output or quality. You have to consider that my pyrex lens is six in. in diameter, so it IS bound to be scratched in the long run - but my experience smaller flashlights, like maglights, and doublebarrles, have shown that they less likely to be scratched or cracked. (with normal use of course)

just my 2 cents on pyrex....