Any conversions for 2 D cell Maglite?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife has a 2 D cell Mag by her side of the bed, but it is woefully pitiful compared to my 6P and G2Z. So I have to let her keep the 6P on her nightstand and I don't wanna! Its mine!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Is there a xenon bulb upgrade for it, I thought I heard about one somewhere...

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Realistically, if you're trying to make your wife happy, you'd need a lot more than just the stock Mag xenon bulbs. I've tried those and they are still lacking, in fact, I feel the stock Mag krypton bulb looks a little better.

One option is for you to buy some 3AA to D cell adapters, six NiMH cells (alkalines cannot withstand the current drain), a metal reflector, and a Welch Allyn WA01111 bulb. This combination will give you a ridiculous amount of light, something in the area of 500 bulb lumens (less, probably 350, out the front of the light).

Christoph

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or get a hotlips heatsink with a good luxIII and trim the spring to drop in the tail cap and insert 3 c cells with an little news paper around them to stop the rattle trim the tail off the reflector and...BRIGHT LONG light! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Chris

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
The two 3-to-D with NiMH and a 5-cell krypton from Radio Shack works great, and with a Mag 5 or 6 cell Xenon Star it would be even better. I can't find anyone locally with those Xenons, though...but I did find a store that would order one (for $5!).

Or, there's always the Lambertian EverLED from www.ledsupply.com

davidefromitaly

Enlightened
put in 8 14500 li-ion 2x4 pack for a total of 14,4 volts and 1600mah

then take a 35W hid, an aluminium reflector and a cristal glass

i think your wife can love the 3200 lumens of output /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't go wrong with an EverLED. Buy it, replace the bulb, you're done. Still uses the same old cheap alkaline batteries, and lasts FOREVER on one set. The EverLED I have in a 2D Mag is WAY brighter than my stock 5D Mag.

Steve C

Enlightened
<<...Can't go wrong with an EverLED...>>

Agreed. I too have one in a 2D MagLite. I did an informal "run time test" when I got mine; 24 hours straight on a fresh set of alkalines, and it was still putting out usable light.

Aloft

Enlightened
I replaced all my stock bulbs with EverLeds. . . I think they're great! I've even got a red one, it's awesome for night use around the telescope. And it's amazingly bright for a red light. The white ones are at least as bright as any incan bulbs I've seen, and much more durable and power efficient.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
Scrap the Mag 2D mod, go to Costco and get her a $25.00 Thor. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

nirad

Enlightened
Are any of the Lambda mods still available??? That would be the ultimate to have.

Latest posts