Sputtering reflectors? (should i do lenses too?)

notrefined

Enlightened
How exactly is it done? Is it just a really brief spritz with a clear krylon?
My application is for a 2C mag modded for 3x123 and 5-cell krypton bulb, and I want mostly the best throw I can get without a truly ****-poor beam. Should I sputter the lens too, or instead?

theepdinker

Enlightened
If you want the best without doing a truly major mod series.
Go to the Group buys/pass arounds area. Buy one of the drop in replacement cammed aluminum reflectors.
Then go to Flashlight lens (dot) com, buy an ultra clear lens (UCL).

You'll improve the beam without sacrificing much in throw & improve light output by about 8%.
Quick, easy & not too costly.

To answer you actual question. Sputter only the reflector.
From all the posts about sputtering, it is tricky to get right. To much or too little and you lose throw without the desired results.

Theepdinker

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Sputtering reflectors? (should i do lenses to

I believe that a Sputtered reflector reduces the artifacts, rings ect to give you a better cleaner beam it
also can reduce some of the light output. For maximum throw
and light output an usputtered reflector is desirable.

illumiGeek

Enlightened

For throw leave the smooth reflector alone. Any beam smoothing measures will increase spill and reduce throw (output is actually the same; but you trade throw for spill).

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just did my stock mag reflector on my 4x123 2C body Maglite. Little clear Krylon and you're good to go. (my first one was a mess, it takes some trial and error /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif) But leave the lens alone! The clearer the better.

Much has been said on this topic. I believe Lambda has a great write-up on it.

For mine, I set it (cam-side down) in an old 3D body, but you can use an old bottle or something. Whatever is nice and solid and keeps the shiny side up. I had the can pointing straight down, maybe 7-10 inches from the reflector, and use one single brief shot at a time. Wait, look, reposition and TAKE YOUR TIME. you can always add more. Mine had a finer texture and not the classic orange-peel SF, but it smoothed out the beam perfectly so I stopped while I was ahead. Again, trial and error (the first one I did got all messed up as I kept wiping out the paint).

The 3x123 2C magbody mod is a great way to get a powerful light with minimum time and money to get started in modding and is one of my favorites. (I stuffed 4 cells in mine, but that's a whole 'nother story. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif)