CREE doubles Lumen output, ~50lumen White 1W LED

*Retired*
November 4, 2004...Cree Inc. of Durham, North Carolina USA has announced that their XLamp 7090 white LED product.... Cree's stated metrics are 40-60 lumens at 350mA....They are already sampling and targeting volume production in December.

http://www.cree.com/News/news210.asp

http://www.sslighting.net/lightimes/

Keep in mind, a Luxeon 1W White is putting more than 1W into the device.

These CREE parts are putting out lumen levels that reach into 3W LumiLED Luxeon territory.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm will they come out with a 3 watt version? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Doesn't really matter does it? Someone here is definitely going to overdrive one of these anyways.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Re: CREE doubles Lumen output, ~50lumen White 1W L

As LED makers increase the output of their 1watt+ LEDs it could lead to confusion as to which LEDs in lights are the higher output if they just give them ratings by power used, not lumens output.

jtr1962

Flashaholic

37.8 lm/W typical efficiency-not bad at all. Keep in mind that in another thread it was claimed that Lumileds will be increasing their efficiency by 100% in the next year. This should put their "typical" efficiencies at 50 to 60 lm/W. Then again, who knows what Cree will come up with by then. Cree's "available as samples" XT-27 blue chips put out 27 mW (42% efficiency!). These ought to be good for 80 to 100 lm/W white LEDs, albeit in the 5mm size. In fact, it seems that 5mm always reaches higher efficiency first.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well... 5 mms have less heat to deal with.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
jtr1962 said:...Keep in mind that in another thread it was claimed that Lumileds will be increasing their efficiency by 100% in the next year. This should put their "typical" efficiencies at 50 to 60 lm/W....

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that was the headlight thread. Does anyone know what the basis is for this increase in efficiency? There is a guy at RPI's lighting research center that claims to be able to double output by increasing extraction from the die. I thought this was for 5mm's only, but I'm not sure. I was wondering if Lumileds claims were due to the same improvement in extraction, or something else.

*Retired*

Actually, jtr1962, that 37.8 lm/W figure you tossed out is the editor's calculated number from lighttimes, not an actual number.

I'd highly caution your use of this number, as it may be a bit low, as compared to the actual device...the original report was a doubling of the typical power output from 25 lumens with a power input of 350mA and typical 3.35V from what I've seen on quite a number of the devices, taking it from 25 to 40-60 lumens...

raggie33

*the raggedier*

newbie ya always find cool info

*Retired*

Well thanks raggie33, I appreciate your comment alot.

My interest is to advance the state of the art in flashlights.

You may be interested in looking at some of my previous posts, prior to when you arrived, under both Jarhead and Newbie. You can do this in the search function, and blanking out the Newer than ___ and putting in something like Before 6 months instead, typing in my username, and then hitting return. Don't forget to select all forums.

Have a really good weekend raggie33, you made my weekend, thanks again.

idleprocess

Flashaholic

I wonder when Cree is going to release some spec sheets for general consumption. Last I checked their site, there's not much more than a press release on the XLamp.