What is the best LED light for use in a tent

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I need a torch that will light up a 6 man tent, It needs to have a long battery life, so I think an LED one would be best. The smaller the better.

Any suggestions?

Also I live in the UK so I need to know where I can get it from over here or from a supplier that will ship here.

The Arc AAA has been suggested, but can't seem to find it any where.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, you might want to consider a yellow or amber color on account of bugs. A yellow Photon 3 might work...but then might not be bright enough to light a tent well...depends somewhat on the color of the tent...a white tent might light up well...a dark green or red tent would not. The folding light sold at Wall-Mart has two leds and could be an inxpensive choice. But it is white. If you are not in a hurry you might want to consider one of the CMG Ultra`s.

Ken

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I have a Bonfire, and the switch is not well engineered. It does have 3 yellow LEDs, and does work OK for a small tent, but I wouldn't buy another one because of the switch/cap.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Yeah and then do what I did...find some pics here

Energizer Folding LED

Basically I took 2 old hard drive magnets, and added a magnet to one of them. I know that sounds crazy but the magnets aern't magnetized throughout the metal, no a 3 magnet approach was necessary. The black magnet is cemented to the HD magnet. Then I cemented a mounting plate (Like $0.58 for 10 at Lowes) to the Energizer and then you stick the single magnet outside the tent and stick the double magnet inside the tent and then you can easily "stick up" and "pull down" the LED Lantern. It was almost perfect for a Springbar tent, just a tiny itty bitty more light would've been nice, but springbars are really tall tents, so for your application it should be fine.

The Arc AAA is only found on the Web. Texas Tactical Supply and, if they have them in, Vicomtel are the best plavces to get it. Having an Arc is an absolute must. Get one. You'll be glad, but I think an Arc is almost but just not quite enough light for a 6-man tent. Smaller tent? Sure, 6-man...not so sure.

I think the thing I like the most about the Energizer is that because it isn't a torch it's more useful than you'd expect when camping. Somethimes it's nice to have a highly defused light, like for outhouses and stuff.

Now to answer your question, what's the best light for a tent...that would be the superlight I'm working on
wink.gif

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's an idea and it only takes a couple of minutes to do. Get the Opalec Newbeam in a Minimag - great LED light - 10 hours+ on 2 AA.

Take a white translucent film case (Fuji - just fish one out of the trash bin next to a film drop-off station at walmart or wherever) and cut a circle out of the top with a hobby knife so that it just fits over the minimag head and the lip gets caught in the groove in the head - it's not that hard to do, just cut out the central dimple. Hang the Opalec and pop the film case over the head for area lighting, remove it for directional lighting.

This is an adaptation of an old trick that backpackers used so they didn't have to carry a specialized light for each purpose.

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Energizer Folding LED lantern hands down; very decent little lights, cheap to buy and feed, small enough that you won't mind carrying it, and put out a surprising about of light. Put lithiums in it and there you go.

I am going to try to open up one of mine, and put some glow sheet on the white reflector, or if I get of my duff and order some glow powder maybe i will just paint all that part.

Come to think of it, a big square of glow sheet that you let charge in the sun all day might not be a bad idea either, but not as a main lighting option.

You could also look at some if the Infinity Task lights. You could get a couple of them in green or blue-green and velcro them up at opposite sides/ends of the tent, or rig some magnets to the lanyard whole and hang them up like saaby suggested. Again very tough, decently bright, and run a long time. Even if you hotrod them you should get 20 hours of light out of one AA.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Krill Extreme. How does the light output compare to the Glo-Toob?
Also the Glo-Toob costs more and uses a 12v type 23a battery.

watt4

Enlightened
energizer folding led light.

has a flat base, so it won't roll around,
folds for storage,
is not a spotlight,
has a hook so you can hang it from stuff.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by KenB:
... A yellow Photon 3 might work...but then might not be bright enough to light a tent well...depends somewhat on the color of the tent...Ken
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Color? YES

Brightness? NO

You need at least 3 LEDs if they're yellow. Maybe stick some yellows in an Attitude, or get a Tec 20 with a yellow cone (not great runtime, though). Maybe put an amber LS in a Rayovac kids headlamp, and hang it from the ceiling. Much better runtime this way.

edit: Or just use multiple yellow photon IIs.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMHO...

CMG Bonfire: Nope. Terrible battery contact/endcap design. Lanyard comes unhooked easily, resulting in a catastrophic (to the Bonfire) all. Too bad, could have been a great light.
frown.gif

CMG Ininity: Nope. Much too dim for anything other than a night light in a tent.
frown.gif

Photon: Nope. Best for intermittent use due to the limited capacity of the button batts.
frown.gif

Energizer Folding LED: Yup. Low price. It hangs. Decent light output. Broad beam spread. Long life. Runs on cheap AAs.
smile.gif

papasan

Enlightened
aren't bugs drawn to UV light? except for mosquitos and other blood suckers which are drawn to heat and carbon dioxide. don't white leds put out 0 UV light?

Saaby

Flashaholic
Nope. White LEDs are a bit lacking in the UV department, might have a little attraction to the light yes but not any worse than any other light!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

How about one of those 8D lanterns. I have one with a remote and the low light burns for 14 hours, hi light burns 8. There is also a night light. Bright enough to light up the whole tent, low setting if you don't need that much light and night light to sleep.

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by papasan:
energizer folding light, like $6 from wallmart.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I second this wholeheartedly.. This light has the appearance of a small florecent light even tho it uses LED's. You can choose 1 or 2 of the "tubes" for either 200 or 400 hours (claimed) light. I'm very happy with mine and use it all the time in my RV. I even keep an extra one hanging in my outhouse at my ranch - enough light to complete your paperwork.
grin.gif
I paid $7.99 @ Walmart for it.