Tac-Star LED flashlights I saw in Lowes' today....

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tac-Star LED flashlights I saw in Lowes\' today....

They LOOKED pretty decent. THe one I was playing with had 5 LEDs in the head and ran on 3 AAAs. It also had one red LED in the center ( the other 5 were around it ). It was $40... Does anyone know anything about them?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Re: Tac-Star LED flashlights I saw in Lowes\' today

40.00 for a 5x5mm LED light? I would rather have a luxeon 3watt nuwai light or a uke4AA+uke2AAA eled both for cheaper.

lasercrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Or an XM-3. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast

I believe I have one, its called the 6 chip by v2. I posted a bunch about it on the thread on v2s at lowes.

Its like the dorcey 1 aaa light, but 100 times brighter. On one hand it brought me new fondness of my xpg for the pure whiteness and throw, on the other hand I think it will bridge my gap from throw and reading light.

I can say, I wont be shopping for an led light for at least a year or if they come out with a 10 watt unit.

PS, its 42 bucks and change after tax in VA. I tried the 1 watt units, but each one was a different color and they looked like my xpg on low. THe 6 chip one put out way more light.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Tac-Star LED flashlights I saw in Lowes\' today....

[ QUOTE ]
KDOG3 said:
They LOOKED pretty decent. THe one I was playing with had 5 LEDs in the head and ran on 3 AAAs. It also had one red LED in the center ( the other 5 were around it ). It was $40... Does anyone know anything about them?

[/ QUOTE ]

A flashaholic would buy one and write up a review for us. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
I believe I have one, its called the 6 chip by v2. I posted a bunch about it on the thread on v2s at lowes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats it. So whats your verdict of it, 1 - 10? Is it worth it or not? I was looking at the E1e but its 125 bucks! Ouch!!

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast

I guess it depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for throw, no dice here buddy. If you always wished your non focused led light was brighter, then you got a winner. Its like a dorcey aaa light, but 100 times brighter. Same flood of light and beam profile. Box says it can run 50 hours a set of batteries, but mentions its over drive so life is about 50k hours than a 100k. With my xpg on low its brighter, but with my xpg on high the xpg wins.

You can operate the light through the box, all the v2s can be played with in the store. I did that with all the models and this one stuck out at me. The one watt model just didnt seem as bright when shined in my face and each one had a different color to it.

After playing with them all, I did gain new respect for my cabelas xpg.

Is it worth 42 bucks? To me it is. If i known the price before hand I may of had to think about it. It is a lot for a light, but its what I was looking for. I need a small pocket led light with flood and that bluish color Ive come to know an led light by. That helps me to read regular print with my eye without any enlargement or anything. Its smaller and lighter than my xpg and uses regular aaa batteries.

The red led seems bright when shined in your face, but it has a weaker beam profile. It is much like the dorcey aaa light as is, except its red. I played around with the light and think the red led uses less power and would work longer if you needed a light during a storm. I tried it with two cells and the whites just glowed, where as the red was at least half brightness.

I posted a few posts to the v2 at lowes thread further back on this forum. Tomorrow at work will be the real test. I need a light to read with and to see dirty, dark colored engines. This is where the cpg let me down and i must revert to the brinkmann legend xl. Of course the legend xl let me down when trying to see anything inside out dark warehouse, but in the shop at close range it does well.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast

Naw, not that good in the shop, but great for those spec sheets.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast

Had to look up under the wheelchair to see where a noise may be comming from. Well, that 6 chip was great. Nice flood of bluish white light. Man that was awesome. I just love that little bright light.

Latest posts