UK 4AA vs PT Tec40?

illumiGeek

Enlightened
The UK uses a proprietary LA (a combination of lamp and reflector) which is brighter than the stock PR4 lamp in the PT40. But since the PT40 uses a PR based lamp, it is more versatile and easy to mod for more brightness (Mag Xenon Star and E91 Lithiums) or even LED (EverLED).

The UK4AA has a very tight focus with lots of throw, but very little spill. This smooth reflector does nothing for beam quality, though. The PT40 is avaialble with a textured reflector that produces a mich nicer beam, but less throw.

STEVENT6

Enlightened
There are also 2 other lights in this category you may want to look at. They are rhe responder 4aa and the streamlight 4aa. I have the tec 40, and the streamlight 4aa. I like them both. They are good for situations when you want a compact bright light and you don't want to pay for 123 batteries. They work fine with nimh rechargeables. Flashlight reviews has excellent reviews on all 4 of these lights.

jbroker83

Enlightened
I also have both the Pro-Poly 4AA Incan and the Tec 40. The Tec 40 is a great choice when loaded with L91's. It's very lightweight and produces a nice, white beam that has pretty good intensity. I would deem this a poor man's p60, and for around 16 dollars, it's brighter than my 4D Mag. The SL pro-poly is also a nice light to have, and although I don't think running L91's is recommended, it does fine with regular alkalines. Throw is nice, and it's output is slightly lower than a Scorpion. I do not own a UK 4AA and can't comment on it.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
i am still looking for a 2x123 PR bulb plastic light like the tec-40 or uk-4aa.

i have both the tec-4o and uk4aa.
the tec 40s are in our cars with xpr 113's and lithiums.
great light that uses inexpensive bulbs. very smooth beam. kpr 113's are ok too, and only about $1.50 for 2. you can rig a lanyard so it holds a spare bulb, just in case.
an everled is always a possibility, due to the PR base.

the tec-40 is a very reliable and flexible workhorse.
it is so good, it is almost dull.

the uk is nice, bright, rugged. it is easy to pocket.
the beam is not as smooth as the tec 40, but it does appear to throw further. the lamp assembly is a bit of a negative for me, though they are only around $6. i like the size and feel of the uk.

want a cheap sub for the tec-40?
try the dorcy boss 4aa.
faceted reflector, 4aa, PR bulb with lanyad that holds a spare, nice clicky, rubber armor. cost is usually not more than $6, and sometimes as low as $2!
the stock bats usually suck, as do the bulbs, but for about $2 they are easy to replace.
the light is much larger/heavier than the tec-40, however.

tough choices, huh?

Bob