E2D vs E2E...

Steve C

Enlightened
Okay, while I get annoyed with "comparison" questions as much as the rest of you, my curiousity overwhelms my common sense here.

I read in another thread that the E2d alledgely "out-throws" the E2E.

True? And if so, why?

Thanks for your patience... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
The E2D has a domed lens that should focus the beam a little better. Although IMHO the effect cannot be that great ... I personally didn't notice any difference, but YMMV.
bernhard

PhilElmore

Newly Enlightened
I'm in the process of publishing a review of the E2D (and I published one of the E2E previously. I'm no personal torch genius, or anything, but it seems to me the choice of one over the other would be dictated not by a marginal difference in light output, but by whether the user prefers the scalloped striking head of the Defender to the less severely contoured bezel of the Executive.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
IMHO the cool thing about the E2D is the tailcap ... still small, but is a clicky, stands on end and has attachment holes !!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
The output in lumens of the two is equal excdept maybe small losses for the E2D due to the protrusions at the bezel. Lux readings might be higher if the lens has really an effect of concentrating the beam.

bernhard

Morganch_oh

Enlightened
I had both, from my nake eye they produce the beams of the same brightness and throws the same too.

My be a light meter will be able to give a better reading.
But I guess not much diff as the bulb are the same for both lights, Maybe the curve lens will give a slightly diffence beam on the E2D?

Morganch_oh

Enlightened
I had try all my lights on myself.

It the bling effect will only work in quite dark places.

Does not really work in a lighted room (as least not as effective as in dark places)

Steve C

Enlightened
Thanks, guys; I suspected as much. IOW, no difference.

<<...the scalloped striking head...>>

I have knives and guns for that sort of thing, Phil... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

stockae92

Enlightened
if E2D is advertise as a "defensive light", then i am hoping that it has at least "some" blinding power

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the stand on end feature and normal clickie. my reason's for going "D" VDG

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Morganch_oh said:
I had try all my lights on myself.

It the bling effect will only work in quite dark places.

Does not really work in a lighted room (as least not as effective as in dark places)

[/ QUOTE ]

You really need a lot more than 60 lumens with ambient light. 105 lumens and up is a different story, I've had unsuspecting users pop themselves with my C2-90 and start jumping around. I'm starting to think that 200 is actually a good figure to work around when you really need to dazzle.

Morganch_oh

Enlightened
You are right 65 lumens can only blind someone in very dark area.
125 lumens is much better. I just try a 200 lumens P91/G2/2xR123 on myself and it really works even in a lighted Room.
I can still see "STARS" even when I'm typing this.

[ QUOTE ]
KevinL said:
You really need a lot more than 60 lumens with ambient light. 105 lumens and up is a different story, I've had unsuspecting users pop themselves with my C2-90 and start jumping around. I'm starting to think that 200 is actually a good figure to work around when you really need to dazzle.

[/ QUOTE ]

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did it to myself by accident in broad daylight (around lunchtime, too!) I thought something fell in my coke can, so I grabbed the nearest light to take a look, and even an indirect shot off cloudy aluminium sent me reeling. Then I realized that the 6P I was holding had the A19 and P91, all fully loaded and ready to go... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/aaa.gif

PhilElmore

Newly Enlightened
It's unwise to depend on the "blinding factor" in any case -- though it's nice when it happens.

Photonian

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
PhilElmore said:
It's unwise to depend on the "blinding factor" in any case -- though it's nice when it happens.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quit fooling around on this forum and get the next Martialist issue out! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quite a nice write-up Phil! I have an E2D and I love mine!

Ok Steve C, here's my story. I own an E2e first and I love it. I next bought an E2D and was quite unimpressed with the beam quality. There is a very faint shadow in the centre of the beam and the 'd' does not throw as well as the 'e'. I half suspected it has to do with the focusing of the reflector.

I contacted Surefire about it and they sent me a new bezel. After fitting the new bezel on my E2D did I see a marked improvement. Not only is the shadow gone, the 'd' seems to produce a tighter beam than my 'e' which means I could spot details a little bit further since the main bulk of light is concentrated on the rather thin beam. This is what I call Surefire quality!

I am not a martial arts expert and so am not trained to react and reflex in times of emergency. To me, the crenellation on the bezel doesn't make sense. In fact it tore through the pocket of my 5.11 tactical pants on the first day of use! Nevertheless, I still like it as a collection of mine. At times I swop the bezel and tail cap over to my E1e just for fun and it really is a beauty to behold.

PhilElmore

Newly Enlightened
The scalloped head definitely does not serve a purpose if you do not intend to use the light as a defensive striking tool -- users who have no need for this feature probably are better served by more conventional lights (like the understated contour of the E2E's head).