New streamlight 3w tasklight

zblades

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone used the new Streamlight 3 watt led task light it boast 3 hrs at 8o lumens and 11.5 at 20 I'm thinking about buy one. any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.........Z

Pwdrkeg

Enlightened
Hi, I have had mine for about a week, and love it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif
The high beam is nice and white and very bright !
The low bean is enough to navigate in the dark and
bright enough for close work. The finish in very
good and it feels comfortable in the hand.
For the price I highly recommend it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif

Tom

Krit

Enlightened
Does anyone know about it is regulated or direct drive with 2 stage switch.?

NorthernStar

Enlightened
Truly an amazing flashlight! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have thought about getting Inova T3 LED,because i want a flashlight that can be realy strong,but at the same time has a lower mode that has mouch longer burntime when using the lower effect. This Streamlight seams to be the answer for my demands. I have some questions for you Streamlight 3W Tasklight owners.

How far does the Tasklight throws in meters when used at full effect? When used at the lowest effect,is there a flashlight that you can give as an comparsion(is it like the Inova X5 when used at the lowest effect)?

DanM

Newly Enlightened
I will give it a try.
The Inova T3 can out throw the Tasklight 2L but not by much. The Inova X5T has a wide flood and puts out more total light but the Tasklight 2L out throws it on low.

The Tasklight 2L has a bright hot spot but dim side spill on low.

As with all lights the Tasklight is a compromise between throw and side spill, I like it better than any of the other Twintask lights.

If you have a Surfire L2 or are thinking of getting one, this light will leave you reaching for the L2 everytime.

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
zblades said:
Mine should be here any day I will let you know how much I like it........I order it from:
Rod Wasinger
RDC Enterprises of Ohio
[email protected]
http://www.rdcenterprises.com
He is a great guy and an authorized streamlight dealer

[/ QUOTE ]

Has your TL-2 (3)Watt arrived yet??? If so, what is your opinion??? I could not wait, today I placed an order for the SL Luxeon JR a long with the TL-2 (3)Watt... Should be here next Tuesday...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received my TL 2-L today from BrightGuy (excellent price and service, BTW), and here are my initial impressions:

Form factor: Handsome overall, nice black finish. Fits well/feels good in the hand. The gradual incline from bezel to body is a plus---feels more natural, and doesn't "catch" in pocket.

Switch: Since I prefer the "underhand" way of holding a flashlight, this button switch is a nice change from the common "clickie" tail switch that is activated by holding the torch "tactical" style. Although lo-hi-off would have seemed more logical than the hi-lo-off switching order of the TL 2-L, it's easy and fast to toggle between the settings, so no big deal, especially after getting used to it a bit.

High beam: I was pleasantly surprised. Seemed to compare favorably overall to my Pelican M6 (108 lumens per BrightGuy)---maybe not quite the distance throw, but at moderate to longish distance, the TL 2-L had a much larger spot and overall illumination. Besides the nice spot, spill on high was very good---really lit the place up!

Low beam: I agree with DanM on this. Best described as a "mini-spot", with OK spill. I compared it tonight with my Inova X5T, and of course the Inova is the spill king. But the myopic range of the X5T bothers me some as I poke around outside in the dark, and the TL 2-L, in contrast, has quite a bit more forward projection (throw), giving more confidence as to what you're walking into. Haven't given the low beam a serious hiking-at-night test yet, but I'm cautiously optimistic it'll be up to the job. Ideally, I would have liked the low beam to be at ~35-40% of high beam (vs. 25% as designed), but Streamlight didn't ask my opinion.

Practicality/useability: High scores here. Frankly, for my purposes (general skulking about outdoors at night, both at home in the "exurbs" and at our 83 acre "ranchito", where I'd rather be most of the time, a 2-level light makes more sense than anything. I want to see where I'm stepping, but there is always some critter or something out on the periphery that I want to spot.

So, a 2-level is probably the ANSWER for me. I'm surprised that there aren't more decent ones on the market. I am tempted to try the SF L2, but a few things are momentarily holding me back: cost; only 15 lumens on low beam---can I walk my nighttime trail with that?; I don't understand how the tail switch works---for constant "on", can you twist the tail cap with one hand? I would appreciate any comments from L2 owners.

In any event, the TL 2-L gets high preliminary marks in my book---~B+ to A-. Dukester, if you're out there, I think you're gonna like traipsing over your acreage with this one!

Mr_Dead

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
AFAustin said:Although lo-hi-off would have seemed more logical than the hi-lo-off switching order of the TL 2-L

[/ QUOTE ]
Not for tactical use. Think about it.

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
AFAustin said:

In any event, the TL 2-L gets high preliminary marks in my book---~B+ to A-. Dukester, if you're out there, I think you're gonna like traipsing over your acreage with this one!

[/ QUOTE ]

Good review. I order a SL Luxeon JR a long with the TL-2 {3watt}. Should be here Wednesday according to UPS Tracking. It will come in handy for avoiding those massive tree root's from the Fir and Alders we have. Cannot forget the blowdowns, they can really ruin an evening if not prepared!

Pwdrkeg

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
AFAustin said:
Switch: Since I prefer the "underhand" way of holding a
flashlight, this button switch is a nice change from the
common "clickie" tail switch that is activated by holding
the torch "tactical" style.

"Ditto" on the switch ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

I've had the 2L Tasklight for seveal weeks and like it a
lot !! The switch was an consideration. With the Tasklight
tail cap the light can be stood on its end and with the
switch location, I can also turn it on in the tactical
position with my index finger.

I was also considering the SureFire L2, however, when I saw
this light at Bright Guy for less than half the price, it
was a done deal.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Tom

Freedom1955

Enlightened
I've found that with the 2L switch in the off position if you click the switch fast twice you can skip the high mode and go directly to low mode. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
AFAustin said:
I am tempted to try the SF L2, but a few things are momentarily holding me back: cost; only 15 lumens on low beam---can I walk my nighttime trail with that?;

[/ QUOTE ]

15 lumens is about what the original ARC LS puts out. That's a lot more light than most people need for up close work. An Inova X5T puts out less than 10 lumens.

In short, you can walk quite well with only a few lumens in a dark environment. If you have a lot of ambient light you will need more, in which case the 15 lumens will seem about right.

Daniel

SolarPowered

Newly Enlightened
Something that hasn't really been mentioned yet: The SL TL 2L has a really, really narrow main beam. I bought it to be a "car light" that will be there if I need to change a tire at night, or have to put on chains in a snowstorm going over the Donner Pass, or need poke around under the hood at night. The beam really is too narrow for these jobs. It's also way too narrow for reading a map.

I ended up buying both the Inova T3 and the SL for this task. I returned the Inova--It has a very narrow beam, and no spill to speak of. The SL actually has a narrower main beam than the Inova, but there is at least a little bit of spill, so it's marginally usable for the above purposes. I kept the SL, mostly because I just didn't feel like returning two lights in one week, and because it's usable, although just barely, for my purpose. But I would really like something like the SL with a substantially (say, 3x or 4x) wider beam.