- DELETED -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neg2LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: mini generator

i'd love to post them, but dad wont let me..... oh, and by the way, i have to spin the motor damn fast, and then put it through a voltage doubler to get 13 volts

neg

Neg2LED

Flashlight Enthusiast

it uses this engine:
15CV-Xinfo.jpg

to adjust the speed my dad told me the circ's pretty much a Engine Speed Controller with tach feedback and a circuit that monitors the battery voltage. when the batt gets to a certain voltage, about 11v, seeing as SLAs/LAs keep their voltage up till the end, the circ then plays with the feedback voltage to the ESC. its rigged so all the time then ESC thinks its meant to be going half speed, so when the engine is meant to speed up, the tach voltage goes down, and vice versa. neat, huh?

neg

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast

I picked up a rc car magazine and man, they had mini motors putting out 3-5hp for those little cars. Then they had brushless motors and many other things that I had no idea existed.

What I want is a way to use my free natural gas from my stove without doing any plumbing. I tried making a thermal electric generator, but it made like a watt. I had hoped for a bit more.

Neg2LED

Flashlight Enthusiast

make a nat gas flame heat up water to turn it in to steam for a steam turbine. whoops, gotta fill up da tank on my gen...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ok im good for another hour /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

yeah, 1-5 hp is normal. but i've seen 4-cylinder 25hp ones used for 1/3 scale boeing 747 models. two to a plane. 50hp. cool huh? they make a HUGE racket though, and they guzzle fuel like nobody's business. something like 1 litre (1/2 gallon?) for a 30min flight.

im thinking about making a bigger mini-gen to charge my elec scooter. probably about the same output, but with a 5 litre fuel can with a little fitting at the bottom for the tank, so it can run for 20 hours on full burn. might be bad for de engine, probably run at med though, not full. either that or a nice large fan.

meh

neg

Jack_Crow

Enlightened

NLED,
Greetings to Oz from Iraq.

I know your photo options are limited, but tell me more about the engine your using on this project. Is it something from a 'weed wacker' or more along the like of a lawn mower engine.

Also how loud is this thing in operation.

If you found a quiet DC generator, light weight item, it might be thing for camping trips and some military options.

Later dude
Jack Crow in Iraq

Neg2LED

Flashlight Enthusiast

its a model car 1.5hp engine and a 12v motor. makes very little power. the motor isnt very efficient at being a generator! it runs at something like 12000rpm....

neg

Neg2LED

Flashlight Enthusiast

whoops i forgot it's fairly loud - more of a whine though, not a hum, so it's annoying!

neg

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast

They also make mini jet engines too.

turbodog

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
Neg2LED said:
its a model car 1.5hp engine and a 12v motor. makes very little power. the motor isnt very efficient at being a generator! it runs at something like 12000rpm....

neg

[/ QUOTE ]

If it really put out 1.5 hp, then the 12v output would be close to 100 amps. The electric motor you're driving, is it timed at 0 degrees? If not, you'd get a good bit more power out by using a modified motor and timing it to 0.

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
turbodog said:
[ QUOTE ]
Neg2LED said:

neg

[/ QUOTE ]

If it really put out 1.5 hp, then the 12v output would be close to 100 amps. The electric motor you're driving, is it timed at 0 degrees? If not, you'd get a good bit more power out by using a modified motor and timing it to 0.

[/ QUOTE ]

It would only be 93 amps if it was 100% efficient, which is impossible. Commercial diesel generators would be lucky to get 70%. I would be shocked if this could get 30%.

Neg2LED

Flashlight Enthusiast

i dont know about timing - i just whipped it together. it puts out about 12a at 7v, then i double the voltage/halve the current, and i end up with about 5a.....

its a cheapo 7-12v motor!

yeesh

neg

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast

too bad those little engines are nasty oil blowing 2 strokes.noisy too.
a tiny quiet 4 stroke burning alcohol would be nice.
i have a tiny tiger for emergencies but its a noisy,smelly smoke maker.
still comes in handy.
the one you built might also find service as a tiny jump starter/battery charger to stash in the car.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast

maybe you are lucky?
those run on a nitromethane/castor oil mix.
when running they emit a lot of oil mist.messy.
i bet it wonr run much longer without oil.
[ QUOTE ]
Neg2LED said:
hmmm... i've been running it on plain old gasoline!

neg

[/ QUOTE ]

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast

The mag I was reading said they use nitro fuel. They use a glow plug like thing too. I think some of the higher end were 4 cycle engines. I believe they are suppose to run rich andmost folks lean them up so they sound better and they get too hot and lock up.

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
snakebite said:
maybe you are lucky?
those run on a nitromethane/castor oil mix.
when running they emit a lot of oil mist.messy.
i bet it wonr run much longer without oil.
[ QUOTE ]
Neg2LED said:
hmmm... i've been running it on plain old gasoline!

neg

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to define "those". Yes, many model engines run on different fuel and oil mixes, but not every one of them. Some run on nitromethane, some run on diesel, some run on methanol, some run on a gas/oil mix, some run on straight gasoline. Obviously he has one of the latter.

Status
Not open for further replies.