Best flashlight for: Home, Car, Outdoors?

Freedom1955

Enlightened
I tend to like bright,reliable flashlights although that should have no bearing in anybody elses responses.
For these 3 places if price was no object what flashlight would you want in your hand?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Home: Surefire L2

Car: UK 4AA eLED (great light, but low priced....so if its stolen from the car I wouldn't be quite as upset as if it was a Surefire)

Outdoors: Surefire M6 (for sheer awesome power), Elektrolumens Tri-Star Phaser (for runtime and good power)

mike2004

Newly Enlightened
How about a set of the following lights in each location:

TL-3
XO
X5
X1
E2e
L2
UK 2AAA eLED

cognitivefun

Enlightened
I don't know anything else, but I do feel that the UK 4AA eLED belongs in the car, with lithium AA batteries in it.

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
Home: I don't know, one of those expensive surefire/streamlight things
Car: 6D Mag with lithium D batteries and a 5 watt LED - ligt and weapon
Outdoors: X990 HID, no doubt about it

FNG

Enlightened
Home: SF G2Z w/ P61 or SL TL-3 Xenon
Car: UKE 2L and Inova X5 and TL-3 Xenon
Outside: Dont stay outside too much so I dont know what to get.

cognitivefun

Enlightened
I'm getting a Gerber LX3 and I will see if this becomes my around the house light. It will run on NiMH batteries which is a big plus in this application.

Freedom1955

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
FNG said:
Home: SF G2Z w/ P61 or SL TL-3 Xenon
Car: UKE 2L and Inova X5 and TL-3 Xenon
Outside: Dont stay outside too much so I dont know what to get.

[/ QUOTE ]

I looked up the SL TL-3 Xenon and I'm pretty sure my Priceton Tec Surge is pretty close to the same output with a lot longer run time. In fact I currently am using the Surge as my home flashlight and was thinking of getting another one for my car.
My other thought was to use my SL 2L LED in the car cause it has the low setting of 20 lumen's with a run time of 11 hrs.

I'll check out your other recommendations!

FNG

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
MLong said:
I looked up the SL TL-3 Xenon and I'm pretty sure my Priceton Tec Surge is pretty close to the same output with a lot longer run time. In fact I currently am using the Surge as my home flashlight and was thinking of getting another one for my car.
My other thought was to use my SL 2L LED in the car cause it has the low setting of 20 lumen's with a run time of 11 hrs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ive had the Surge before (3 actually) and although they put out a great ammount of light, theyre bulky, heavy, and take 8 AA's. I would rather carry spare 123a's then AA's and the spare bulb in the TL-3 doesnt hurt either. As for runtime, thats why I put down the UK 2L and Inova X5. The 2L lasts for about 3 hours and the X5 goes for 5+. Ive had the 2L in my glovebox for about two years now and I dont see a reason to replace. I ordered a Inova T2 (5 hour regulated) to see if it would work for car emergency light but im not sure because of little side spill it offers. I guess ill get my answer on Tuesday. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Home: D'mo AAA Luxeon, Underwater Kinetics 4AA eLED, Inova X5T-HA
Car: Vector 1-Million Candlepower Rechargeable Spotlight, Underwater Kinetics 4AA eLED
Outdoors: Petzl Tikka Plus, Underwater Kinetics 4AA eLED

Freedom1955

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
FNG said:
[ QUOTE ]
MLong said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Ive had the Surge before (3 actually) and although they put out a great ammount of light, theyre bulky, heavy, and take 8 AA's. I would rather carry spare 123a's then AA's and the spare bulb in the TL-3 doesnt hurt either. As for runtime, thats why I put down the UK 2L and Inova X5. The 2L lasts for about 3 hours and the X5 goes for 5+. Ive had the 2L in my glovebox for about two years now and I dont see a reason to replace. I ordered a Inova T2 (5 hour regulated) to see if it would work for car emergency light but im not sure because of little side spill it offers. I guess ill get my answer on Tuesday. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the reply FNG,

The real problem about buying a flashlight is "where do you go to try out all the different models"? No place I know of.
Anyway let me know what you think of that Inova I have been thinking about buying a T3 for a little while now just because it is supposed to have a lot of throw.

Also when I think of a car light I'm thinking that not only would I need long run time with spill ( for close up work)but if I'm in my car and for some reason I need to see an address on a house I might need throw too!! So confusing!

Freedom1955

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
BlindedByTheLite said:
Car: Vector 1-Million Candlepower Rechargeable Spotlight, Underwater Kinetics 4AA eLED

[/ QUOTE ]

BlindedByTheLite,

Very interesting reply, I don't know what a D'mo AAA Luxeon is and the same for the Inova X5T-HA but I see for the car you have a spotlight and the UK 4AA eLed. I am thinking along those lines to that you should have 2 light's for your car. One for throw and one for spill and longer run time.

I also see that you have the UK 4AA eLED listed for all three situations other people have suggested this same light. I am seriously thinking about this light. If I am right it is not bright but does have a long run time. Is that correct?

Thanks

Mark

Ratso

Enlightened
UK 4AA eLED w/ Alkalines, UK 4AA eLED w/ Lithium AA's, UK 4AA eLED w/ Ni-Mh. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Home: I like my Streamlight 3CXP LED/Xenon for around the house (outdoors mainly).

Car: Something with Lithium cells. In my case a Brinkmann Maxfire 2L (with SL Stinger, SL 3AA TT, and a few other lights)

Purely outdoors: I kinda dig my M*g 3D with 4C NimH and an acrylite lense. Pretty darn bright, great of beam, runs for free!

That said, whenever I'm dressed I have a minim*g with a Lambda Lux3 Pill running NimH. And I use THAT light more than most others!

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
MLong said:
[ QUOTE ]
BlindedByTheLite said:

[/ QUOTE ]

BlindedByTheLite,

Very interesting reply, I don't know what a D'mo AAA Luxeon is and the same for the Inova X5T-HA but I see for the car you have a spotlight and the UK 4AA eLed. I am thinking along those lines to that you should have 2 light's for your car. One for throw and one for spill and longer run time.

I also see that you have the UK 4AA eLED listed for all three situations other people have suggested this same light. I am seriously thinking about this light. If I am right it is not bright but does have a long run time. Is that correct?

Thanks

Mark

[/ QUOTE ]
hey Mark. first, the D'mo AAA Luxeon. you can find the information for it here in this thread. it was a limited run of modded lights done by CPF member, d'mo!

then Inova X5T-HA, is just like the Inova X5T, except it is "sterile" and finished in a hard anodizing like Surefire's.

the UK 4AA eLED is an amazing light. after using it i dunno why it hadn't been thought of sooner. the general consensus is, it is a modest output light with a very long, regulated runtime. the lowest i've heard of anyone getting is 12 hours in regulation. with lithium AA's ppl are getting 18 hours of regulation. when you get your Petzl Tikka Plus, turn it on high output. the UK 4AA eLED is brighter. a lucky few of us have also got an eLED with a very small, but brighter spot of light in the middle that gives it a little extra throw that others too. tho it's not so bright that it will blind you when you're hiking and point your light @ a birch tree.

and your flashlight combinations will really come down to personal preference, but as you noticed, i prefer to have a light with good output for 90% of everything you'll do in/around/when thrown from your car. and then i keep the spotlight for everything else. the spotlight also has 3 levels of lighting, so that also adds a little versatility.

just make sure you're comfortable and have faith in the lights you're using!

FNG

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
MLong said:

The real problem about buying a flashlight is "where do you go to try out all the different models"? No place I know of.
Anyway let me know what you think of that Inova I have been thinking about buying a T3 for a little while now just because it is supposed to have a lot of throw.

Also when I think of a car light I'm thinking that not only would I need long run time with spill ( for close up work)but if I'm in my car and for some reason I need to see an address on a house I might need throw too!! So confusing!

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the same problem as you. I bought all of my lights online and if I didnt like them or wanted something a little better, I sold them here. I have to say though that im rarely dissapointed because I base my decisions on other user reviews. Then there's always the saying, "Find what you like and use it often."

For throw, I dont think you can find a better light than the TL-3 Xenon for under $55. If size isnt a problem then I guess you can use a spotlight for this task. The Inova X5 is marketed as a flood light, and it does the job well. Do you have a delivery job?

I saw that you have a Mag 2C in your sig. For about $5 in materials, you can turn that thing into a very long throwing light too.

Freedom1955

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
FNG said:
[ QUOTE ]
MLong said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the same problem as you. I bought all of my lights online and if I didnt like them or wanted something a little better, I sold them here. I have to say though that im rarely dissapointed because I base my decisions on other user reviews. Then there's always the saying, "Find what you like and use it often."

For throw, I dont think you can find a better light than the TL-3 Xenon for under $55. If size isnt a problem then I guess you can use a spotlight for this task. The Inova X5 is marketed as a flood light, and it does the job well. Do you have a delivery job?

I saw that you have a Mag 2C in your sig. For about $5 in materials, you can turn that thing into a very long throwing light too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I have a Mag 2C and would like to mod it but I'm not sure what parts I need and I'm not sure where to get instructions to do the mod. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif