Gerber LX 3.0 vs. Streamlight Luxeon Jr

The Wolf

Newly Enlightened
I'm trying to decide if the gerber lx 3.0 is worth the extra dough over the Streamlight luxeon Jr. Basically, I'm looking for a bright general use LED light, AA batts. I've read the reviews, just looking for some real world opinions.

Thanks.

bonvivantmike

Enlightened
I don't have the Gerber, so I can't compare.

But I do have the Streamlight Lux Junior, and am quite happy with it. It's definitely a flood, not a spot, but the brightness is good, the beam color on my specimen is nice and white, and the runtime is adequate.

A nice bonus is that since it is very close in overall dimensions to the Mini-Mag, it will fit in most holsters designed for the Mini-Mag.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Gerber LX 3.0 has a little better focused hot spot, with about 60 degrees side spill. Slightly brighter than my admittedly good SL Jr.(I won the lottery on this one).

The SL Jr. is white as can be, but has less (about 30 degrees) side spill.

Both are keepers, the advantage is longer run time for the Gerber(three AAs), also a "bit" brighter. Has a twist on (can be adjusted for momentary on ).

The SL is shorter(two AAs), has a clip, and has a clickie.

cognitivefun

Enlightened
the nice thing about the SL Jr is that it can fit nicely in your pocket, like a penlight.

Mattman

Enlightened
I'm not sure I'd classify the Luxeon Jr as having a flood beam. In fact, it's a little too much of a spot for my liking in general purpose situations. When compared to an Arc LSH-P, it has much less side spill, but isn't a spot in the Inova X1 sense. It does throw a little bit more than th e LSH-P, but has noticeably shorter run time as well. I wish the Streamlight Jr were closer in length to a Minimag with a Kroll because it's noticeably longer. With that said, the Gerber LX looks like it's less than an AA battery length longer than the Streamlight Jr, so in that sense it's a little more efficient package. I don't have an LX to compare it to, but I use my Jr all the time as my beat-it-up utility light. It's hard to beat for the $.

Northernflame

Newly Enlightened
Hi.

I do enjoy the SL Jr over the Gerber.

One point about flood/spot. Distance is a factor at very close range (ex. 12 inches) the Jr has a hotspot. However at 3+feet it's a flood and a good one at that.

You can also unscrew the colminator lens off the SL JR and it becomes a very very nice short range flood. The SL JR is great for working inside computer cases or an automobile engine.

The downside to the SL JR is battery life. Granted if you use 1700mAh rechagable NIHM bateries then you can get almost doubble the officialy claimed battery life .

If you wish a 3 AA version instead of a 2AA I would sugest the SL tt-3AA LUX aka lux3AA. It's brighter that the Gerber or SL Jr and it has good battery life of at least 24 hours continious use on regular (fresh) cheap batteries.

Enjoy

Brooks

Newly Enlightened
I have the SL Lux Jr and really like it. I was going to also buy the LX3.0 for a little more light, then someone in these forums steered me to the Electrolumens XM-3 for $40. It also uses AA's and is regulated plus it is getting good consumer reviews. I have one on order. There is also a NL-2AA-3W light that can be ordered in the B/S/T from Waion which appears to be the same light under a different name and is a little cheaper $39 with shipping included. I have one of these on order as well. I plan to order some more for Christmas gifts if they are as good as they appear. After using the SL Lux Jr I decided I prefer LEDs that use AA's over the CR123's since I can use my cheap rechargeable NiMH and the light output is still fantastic.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brightguy is have a special on the Streamlight Luxeon Jr. until November 19th or he runs out of them, two for $54.00, find it ...... here.

Raven

Enlightened
Thanks for the heads up mike!

Is the LX3 noticeably brighter than the SL JR, or is the difference mostly in run time?

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I get readings in my ghetto light box of 10.9 light units for the SL JR and 16 light units for the LX 3.0. That translates to the SL having 68% less brightness of the LX or the LX is 147% brighter than the SL. The LX is brighter. YMMV.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I must have a hellava SL Jr., but I see not a lot of difference in brightness.

The 3.0 Gerber has a tighter beam, but thats all.

The Gerber 3.0 was my first "3" watt light. Guess I expected more.

After all, it's mainly a "1" watt overdriven.

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've read mixed reviews of the company. Do a search at cpf on Botach. I haven't ordered from the company so I don't know if they are good or not.

Ratso

Enlightened
Botach has low prices, but many people have had bad experiences with their customer service, handling of orders, promptness of shipping, and with back ordered items. I suggest you do a little research before you decide to buy from them.

fleshlite

Banned
JohnK, You said that the gerber LX3 can be adjusted for momentary on. Can you tell me how that is done? I have one but I'm not able to make any adjustments on it that allows that.
tks

skr

Newly Enlightened
Untwist the tailcap about 1/8 or 1/4 turn from full on. Then you should be able to press the tailcap firmly for momentary on, and release it for off.