Northern Lights

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tonight, Sunday, Nov 7, I saw the best display of the Northern Lights I've ever seen. I live about 75 miles due west of Chicago, and a display like this one is very rare. The lights were dancing from the Northern horizon to well above the zenith in the sky. They stretched from the Northwest to the East. Beautiful curtains of red, pink and green light shimmered across the sky. What a show!! Did anyone else see them tonight? They said on the news they should be visible all night. I bet they can be seen even in the South, they were so far past the zenith! I'm sure those of you who live in the far North get to see them all the time, but many don't. I hope everyone gets to enjoy them! And oh yeah, it was a great excuse to take some of my flashlights out for some "playtime"! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Yeah, we like to "share them" once in a while! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seriously - they are awesome! (and I don't usually use that word)

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Local news reports stated that there were call ins for gorgeous sitings in the skys over north Arkansas. They poo pooed the reports because they just couldn't believe it.

I don't know but I'm a romatic. If 100 people called it in then 1000 saw it.

Draco_Americanus

Enlightened
I saw the northren lights this morning on my quest to get to work, it's the second time in My life that I have seen them, First time for seeing them this far south in michigan

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
DANG IT!

I wish I would have known. I worked night shift last night and could have looked, plus I probably could have seen them here in Buffalo.

I've never seen them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Moat

Enlightened
Yes! They were spectacular here in rural mid-Michigan, between 1 and 5 am. Although a moonless night, they lit up surroundings almost as much as a full moon. I do believe there is some chance of an encore performance tonight... keep your eyes peeled!

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
The evening sky was so bright it looked as though the full moon was rising, but I knew it didn't come up until hours later. Glad we all went out to see what the source of light was.

bubbacatfish

Enlightened
I noticed lights in the sky Sunday after my shift finished about 2:30am but because I live in a city I couldn't make out any colours & didn't realize what I was looking at. I have seen the Northern Lights a few time but never as far south as Hamilton. I think I heard something on TV yesterday about solar flares intensifing the display.

Aloft

Enlightened
Took off from Fairbanks Int'l Airport (yeah, I know, it sounds funny!) on Nov 10th around 6:00 am. As we leveled off at 33,000 feet, we were in and out of some clouds. . . but when we were out, the aurora was brighter than I have ever seen! Not much color besides the typical pale green and a bit of yellow, but the intensity was fabulous.