dsl flowpoint modem like a firewall?

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a flowpoint 2100 dsl router and want to know if that it's like having a firewall besides using xp service pack, or should I add something like zone alarm? I just got screwed by McAfee on support and switched to Zaspersky Labs for anti virus protection.

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't personally know of that model, but after checking the net, it says it has a firewall & VPN option. Open the routers menu by typing the IP address of the router into your browser. See if the firewall is turned on and what options you are allowed.

Zone alarm is great. The best thing about it is it lets you know when one of your programs is trying to access the net. You can simply allow or deny it to do so. Zone alarm works great in conjunction with my hardware firewall.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
It's always a good idea to use TWO firewalls from different companies.

Many DSL routers have been found to have security holes that allow hackers to access their configurations. Patches are issued, but it's up to you to find and install the patch

Using any software FW in addition to the hardware one is a very good practice. The down side is that you might have to reconfigure two different places to access certain games and servcies.

Daniel

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it depends how your DSL is set up. If it's set up as a bridging modem and you have a static IP address which you enter into your computer's TCP/IP stack, then I don't think you have any firewall. If your computer's TCP/IP stack is set for DHCP, then you might have a hardware firewall using NAT (network address translation), or maybe not if you have a dynamic IP. The other possibilities, I don't know about. Mine is bridging with static IP (Actiontec from Qwest), so I add my own router (also to add wireless) for my firewall.

I think you should ask your ISP.

lhivernant

Newly Enlightened
Only one software firewall at a time, though. Zone Alarm is a bit more full featured then the XP one. Most notably it can block software on your computer from getting out. It'll be kind of a pain for the first week or two as it asks permission every time some app tries for internet access but I think its worth it.

Joel